Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebyts Pro root kit scan keeps getting unchecked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:47 PM

I have been running Maywarebytes Pro for awhile[several years on 3 different machines [OS'S]

ON the WIN 10 machine awhile back while checking its settings I found the rootkit scan was unchecked rechecked it and every so often I find it unchecked again and not by me.

I run it resident and once a week run a manual scan as well.

Any idea why this keeps happening. This is starting to look like I may be infected with something or hacked again.

Both Vista and XP stared the same behavior shortly before they crashed from so much malware or whatever.

Thanks for any thoughts and assistance.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:56 PM

If you have "Scan for rootkits" enabled, it will increase the length of the average scan time from previous versions and sometimes cause the scanner to stall (hang), freeze) or become unstable. This defeats the purpose of routinely using the recommended THREAT Scan to quickly check the most prevalent places for active malware. As such, it is disabled by default and should remain disabled when perform routine THREAT Scans.If you have it enabled and alwarebytes is not remembering your settings, then that is a question you should ask the development team. For such issues they recommend you start a new topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help Forum and report them there so they can investigate.

You can also contact the Malwarebytes Consumer Support Team (Submit a Ticket) for individual assistance.

The Tech Support & Help Forum team know the inner workings of the program and have direct access to the developer and research engineers. Your best option is ask and wait for them to figure out what is going on.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

Thank you for the links. I always thought the anti exploit was a part of Malwarebytes pro but apparently it is a separate application.

Decided to give the trial version a go.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:12 PM

Not a problem.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is an action level security application that runs in the background as a standard Windows Service and protects against, the malicious action of exploiting software vulnerabilities, blocks zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit provides three layers of exploit protection (against Operating System security bypasses, memory caller protection, application behavior protection). MBAE continuously monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in software and browsers from being exploited, blocks unknown and known exploit kits, proactively preventing the exploit from installing its payload before it can do damage. This means that it will protect against code execution that uses a certain vulnerability in an application. MBAE leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive, does not utilize a lot of system resources and does not use a signature database so there is no need for constant updating.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit includes a 14-day trial mode for the Premium version which you can enable during installation by checking the box when prompted. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium includes additional protecton (Shields) for PDF readers, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Media players and allows the ability to add/manage custom shields. The Premium version requires a registration ID and purchase of a license key after the trial period expires.

Note: The installer/setup for all three...Free, Trial and Premium is the same. If you are installing for the first time during the install, it will ask if you want a 14-day trial mode. If you click continue without unchecking it will enable the 14-day trial. After the trial you can choose to continue using Free or upgrade to paid Premium. If you choose to continue with the Free version, then Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit will still continue providing real-time protection against web-based exploits in browsers, browser add-ons and Java.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Resources:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users