Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot from USB stick

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 adrianzen

adrianzen

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

First, I got the message:  Error loading operating system when I tried to turn on the computer. Then I set the BIOS to boot from a tested USB flash drive with XP Pro on it,  Now when I try to boot from the USB I get a message something like "Error reading from disk, press control + alt + delete to restart.  If I press control + alt + delete I just get the same message. The CD drive is broken so I cannot boot from it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2015 - 09:49 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

How did you create the bootable USB flash drive? What is the make and model of the computer?

#3 adrianzen

adrianzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

I used Rufus to burn an windows xp iso to a usb.  I tested the usb (twice) on a laptop and it worked, the computer got ready to install windows xp.

I am not sure of the model of the computer.  I am pretty sure it is an ECS but do not have the model right now. Thinking of purchasing Easy Recovey Essentials, but not sure if the computer will boot from a live usb with Easy Recovery Essentials on it.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:48 PM

Are you trying to reinstall the OS? If you are trying to recover files you can download the Hirens iso and use Rufus. Boot Hirens and select MiniXP.

You can also try using Yumi to create a bootable USB. Sometimes this works when Rufus fails on a particular computer. In step 2 select XP installer under Other OS/Tools in the dropdown box.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

#5 adrianzen

adrianzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

Yes, I was trying to reinstall the OS, I am not trying to recover files.  Somebody made a lot of changes to the BIOS yesterday but the computer was booting fine this morning.  I however turned it off and on a few times to try to get the BIOS to boot from the USB.

I have reset the BIOS to optimal settings, and old values but I still get the same error message.  I will try Yumi.

Do you think the computer will boot from Easy Recovery Essentials?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

I would not bother with Easy Recovery Essentials. If it does not boot with Yumi I doubt Easy Recovery Essentials would work. As noted on the Yumi website, the install is done in steps. 

Since version 0.0.7.6, YUMI supports Windows XP Install from USB via ISO.
The Windows XP Installation from USB option currently works by booting directly from your XP ISO, hence the YUMI menu entry is created under "Directly Bootable ISOs". In order for the Windows XP installation to succeed, you must perform the following steps;
1.) To begin an install, select (Stage 1)
2.) Upon first reboot, you must select (Stage 2)
3.) Finally, after (Stage 2) is complete – upon the second reboot, select (Stage 3) to boot the drive where you installed Windows XP. If this option fails, simply remove the USB and reboot!

Your ISO file name must contain no spaces.

Because XP is no longer supported with Security Updates you may want to look at installing a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint depending on how much RAM the computer has or what programs you use.

#7 adrianzen

adrianzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

I now get the message with the YUMI stick in as folllows:

Failed to load ldlinux.c32

Boot failed: please change disks and press any key to continue.

Not sure if I made the bootable USB stick correctly with YUMI. I will have to go back home to try and test it on my laptop.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

Did you try the USB flash drive on all USB ports?

#9 adrianzen

adrianzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:27 PM

The Yumi stick will not boot in the laptop.  Not sure what I am doing wrong

Step 1:  Selected E:\MULTIBOOT 7GB as my drive.

Checked: Showing all drives

Checked: We Will Fat32 Format E: Drive!

Step 2:  Selected Windows XP Installer

Step 3:  Shown in green is the path to my iso:  C:\Users\am\Desktop\winxp.iso

Clicked on Create

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:35 PM

That is the correct way. The only other utility I know of that would create a bootable XP install is WinsetupfromUSB.

http://www.komku.org/2013/07/winsetupfromusb-simplest-way-to-install-windows-xp-from-usb-flash-drive.html

https://myeeeguides.wordpress.com/2008/11/15/winsetupfromusb-install-windows-xp-from-usb-flash-drive/

#11 adrianzen

adrianzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

I got the yumi stick to boot in the laptop, just had to adjust the bios.  I will try it on all usb ports at work.

#12 adrianzen

adrianzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

I get the same error message on all usb ports:

Failed to load ldlinux.c32

Boot failed: please change disks and press any key to continue.

Do you think there could be another reason why it is not booting from the YUMI stick? Say, if there was a problem with the HDD, should it still boot from the USB stick?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:52 PM

A failed hard drive should not have any affect on the booting of the USB. I am a little confused. You said you got Yumi to boot on the laptop. Is the computer you are trying to boot the USB on your work computer?

#14 adrianzen

adrianzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:42 PM

It is a computer at my work yes.  The laptop I have at home.  The "Error loading the operating system" message disappeared for some reason and now the computer boots into windows.  But I still cannot reinstall the OS which is what I wanted to do.

The BIOS sees the USB Flash drive, (when I press F8 the brand of Sansdisk shows up) does that mean that the USB drives are working OK inside the tower? Thanks for all your help.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:51 PM

Yes, if you see the USB flash drive listed then is should boot. You have USB as the first boot device in BIOS, correct? When you say the computer now boots into windows do you mean from the hard drive and not the USB flash drive? Some computers have a boot menu you access by tapping a key at boot. What is the make and model of the computer? Does it have a floppy drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users