A couple of days ago I started experiencing this MS Outlook 2003 crashing issue... when I attempt to open any email with an attachment I get the following crash (other emails open OK):
My OS is Windows XP64. And the version of the kernel32.dll is as follows:
kernel32.dll (size 1483Kb) version 5.2.3790.5295 (srv03_sp2_qfe.140205-1447) dated 2/6/2014
kernel32.dll (size 993Kb) version 5.2.3790.5295 (srv03_sp2_qfe.140205-1447) dated 2/6/2014
...and they match the versions that are in the DLL cache folder.
Things I tried (unsuccessfully):
1. Doing a regsvr32 kernel32.dll came back with "kernel32.dll was loaded, but..." ( I don't recall the exact message... something about DllRegisterServer not called or found).
2. Scanning the PST for errors (and fixing).
3. Doing a repair install on Microsoft Office 2003.
4. Attempted to re-install Office 2003 SP3 (didn't work as it's already installed).
5. Installed MS14-019/KB2922229 (installed successfully-- no affect)
I started to do a sfc /scannow ...but I was afraid to allow it to restore DLLs from the WinXP64 Disc into cache because I feared they would be older than the dated 2/6/2014 files and thus cause worse problems. What Windows Update installed these 2/6/2014 dated kernel32.dll files? Maybe I could uninstall that KB update and then re-install it???
6. Tried a System Restore but it failed.
7. Attempted to create a new outlook profile with a new email account (same parameters as current email account) but when I try to start Outlook with this new profile it immediately crashes Outlook as it trys to startup and gives me that same error (except in the dialog title bar is says : "F: OUTLOOK.EXE - Entry Point Not Found").
8. Kaspersky scan detected no issues.
The following almost worked:
I clicked on my address book icon and got this error:
The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address Book, see Microsoft Outlook Help.
So I followed this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/319901
...and followed their prescribed resolution (but I didn't quite understand steps 13-15). But then after restarting Outlook I could once again open emails with attachments.
However, when I exited Outlook and opened it back up just to verify all was fixed... alas, it started giving me the same error again when I double-clicked an email with an attachment.
Please I don't know what else to do to try and fix this... I'm assuming my Outlook Profile (and its related registry bits have been corrupted but I don't have a recent registry backup or system restore) ...and I deal heavily with attachments in emails so I need a solution asap. Someone please help me fix this, I beg you!
Edited by mlawler67, 03 October 2015 - 11:13 AM.