Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is Turbo Your PC™ worth trying for a slow computer?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 61jim

61jim

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:08 AM

this is my first topic for bleeping. i hope this is the correct place to ask this question. My dell is a Inspiron 530S Intel pentium R Cpu E2180@2.00ghz @.2.00ghz, 3.00gb and 32 bit operating system. It's about 7 years old.

and it runs very slowly. My C drive is full and I am in the process of deleting things. Is Turbo Your PC a program that could help me or is it a ripoff.

Thanks, Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

Hello, and :welcome: to BC :)

For what it's worth, Bleeping Computer does not recommend the use of optimization tools.

If the computer is slow I would look elsewhere - clean up unnecessary files and folders, check for possible malware infections, defragment the hard drive and uninstall necessary programs. Maybe check if the HDD is failing if the computer really is that old.

#3 61jim

61jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

Thank you for the reply and welcome! I will take your advice and continue house cleaning. It might take awhile with up to 7 years off clutter. Most if not all my pictures and such are backed up on two external WD drives that I have. I just did not have the guts to delete my pictures off my computer hard drive yet. I am double checking that my pics transferred properly by spot checking. Another question, please. When I do delete pic files should I also empty recycle bin? And to delete programs, use the uninstall feature on the control panel? Thanks again.

Jim

#4 61jim

61jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

And how do I check if my hard drive is failing?

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:55 PM

Hi there,

If you intend to delete the pictures permanently then you should empty the Recycle Bin, then run a free space wipe with a tool like CCleaner to make sure that it is completely gone - but this is only for really important stuff.

To uninstall programs then Programs and Features should be fine. If you are worried about leftovers or a program failed to uninstall then there is Revo Uninstaller that will uninstall programs more thoroughly.

For testing HDDs you can use Western Digital Data Lifeguard which is the standard testing software for WD drives. Instructions can be found here.

#6 61jim

61jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:10 PM

Will take all your suggestions and begin my cleaning. (and will not be using Tubo Your PC)  Including the links to those sites was very kind.  Thanks for all the help you have given me.

Jim

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:20 AM

YOu can quickly regain several GB of space if you adjust the properties of your recycle bin for C Drive to be only 2%, vice the default 10% normally allocated.....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#8 61jim

61jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:29 AM

how do I do that?

#9 61jim

61jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:37 AM

how do I do this?

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

Here is a set of instructions for reducing the size of the Recycle Bin in Windows Vista.

I would look into that as a last resort if house cleaning didn't free up much space.

#11 61jim

61jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

I will. Thank you very much!

#12 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

- Delete the folder "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and its contents. With each monthly Microsoft Update this folder gets filled with more & more files. This folder can contain GBs of files no longer needed.

#13 61jim

61jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

thanks for the tip

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users