Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have you experienced driver issues with Win10?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 myym

myym

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:45 AM

I was wondering if any one has experienced driver issues after installing Win10. When I look at the manufacturer of my laptop I can't see any drivers for Win10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:58 AM

Yes....there are plenty of driver issues with Win X

List your make and model  here for your PC.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

Toshiba Satelite L855D-10L

Acer Aspire 5750G

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:32 AM

what issues are you having with the Toshiba?

add the serial number as well please

Edited by Condobloke, 03 October 2015 - 06:33 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

I haven't installed win10 yet, because I am afraid it won't work well.

#6 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

My 6-year-old Dell Inspiron 1545 has no drivers for Win 10. Heck, it doesn't even have drivers for 8. The only thing that didn't work, after upgrading, was my Alps touchpad, and I was able to track down a Win 7 driver for that. Either my old drivers were fine with Win 10, or Microsoft did a great job with their drivers. YMMV, though.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:40 AM

I guess the general consensus here would be .....there is only one way to find out.

If you do go ahead, make sure you have a bulletproof backup/clone/image of your existing OS and files etc etc

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:23 PM

Genuine Acer Aspire site and Drivers < These are given for the listed standard Acer Aspire 5750g and Windows 10.
I am interested because I have an Acer 8.1, but it is a desktop model.

There still seems to be some discussion on Win 10 drivers, so it may pay for you to check their site / forum for any further update

I also own a Toshiba laptop, so that further encouraged me to follow this topic.

For Toshiba I found the problem a bit deeper but http://support.toshiba.com/drivers seemed to cover the topic, with these 3 items being your main direction

Click on the link gave a (X) or (%) sign beside it, which  then led to more details. Sorry, but wrong glasses on today - Gets bad when you have 3 pairs :mellow:

This seems to cover all standard drivers from XP SP2 and 3 up to Windows 10.
Windows 10

Windows 10 (32-bit)

Windows 10 (64-bit)

@ leithanne
I have found (like you most likely do) that I should go directly to Dell as the only place to find 90% of the drivers and required "bits" rather than mentioning it on external areas, I was misled a couple of times, and it took twice as long to repair the problems.

Just my findings..

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:31 PM

Your Acer Aspire 5750G have driver support up to Windows 8 64-bit (not even 8.1). Therefore, "officially" that laptop isn't Windows 10 compatible, ready, but drivers from Windows 7 and Windows 8 might work on it. It really depends.

As for the Toshiba, we need either the Toshiba product name, or the serial number. The model part number is of no help here.

ANDnmhG.png

Also, from personal experiences, I would avoid getting drivers from any website that isn't your computer manufacturer, or hardware manufacturer. The only exception is for Atheros driver with Atheros.cz. You can see that officially your Acer doesn't support Windows 10 drivers sided, but the website linked above lists drivers for it, and they are pre-2015 so you know something's not right here.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:43 AM

The biggest problem that I've seen with Toshiba's is the Elan touchpad driver (followed by the Synaptics touchpad driver).

But this presumes that you've taken all possible precautions (such as updating the BIOS/UEFI and any other recommended updates prior to W10).

Also, in general, the more a system has been used - the more problems that we note with W10 updating.

I strongly suggest backing up your data just in case the update fails.

Most problems that we've seen at work are:

- reregistering Windows Store apps

- antivirus not working properly after update (uninstall/reinstall)

- audio and video driver issues (update to the latest, W10 compatible version)

- BIOS/UEFI updates

W10 will run on an amazing spread of hardware - but it's not going to be able to create drivers out of thin air.
So if the device manufacturer doesn't release a driver that's compatible w/W10 - then you'll have problems.

This not only includes hardware devices - but also any other software that you may have installed since first turning the machine on.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:59 AM

Jaycan and Aura thanks for the reply.

I have used the link to Toshiba, but after entering the part no and serial number but it doesn't show any results.

Part no: PSKG4E-001002N5

Serial no: l2D324270QSSK4001002N5B

as for Acer I can find its drivers but only for Win 7 and 8, and no indication whether that they work with win 10 or not.

I have received installation of win10 for both laptops through windows update, but haven't gone any further.

I also read somewhere in this forum that also the mother board drivers need to get updated, has anyone noticed problems without updating the mother board drivers? 

#12 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:05 AM

usasma thanks for the reply.

The issues you mention is my main concern by not installing win10. I had expected the manufacturers have updated the drivers for this new OS, as I previously saw when win8 was released. But it seems that we need to try and cross fingers to hope the old drivers work with this latest version, just like leithanne explained.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

The biggest problem that I've seen with Toshiba's is the Elan touchpad driver (followed by the Synaptics touchpad driver).

I second that. We had a few threads here about that as well.

myym, did you buy your laptop from the US? If not, which country is it from?

as for Acer I can find its drivers but only for Win 7 and 8, and no indication whether that they work with win 10 or not.

That's the gamble you have to take if you decide to upgrade to Windows 10: to see whether the Windows 7 and Windows 8 drivers you have available will work under Windows 10.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#14 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

Aura my laptops are bought in Europe Denmark, I have even searched from Toshiba european section and it doesn't show any results.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:16 AM

Here's the webpage I used.

http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=EU

This laptop have drivers up to Windows 8.1 64-bit apparently.

GPEHWp2.png

So you can give them a try under Windows 10, but once again, there's no guarantee that they'll work.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users