Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PowerDVD and Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:49 AM

OK so, I finally migrated from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro, PowerDVD works, but only so far..... let me explain

Starting this past sunday some DVDs wont play on my prefered software, in this case, Cyberlink PowerDVD 5.0; Only some DVDs will play just fine without any troubles. I dont like Windows built in media player, and I've lost trust with VLC player. PowerDVD I pretty much grew up with.

Now, I know there are Powerdvd trials for ten and newer. But I want to get one full on, a perm full version, but not have ot pay out the nose for it if I can. I'm not sure if its my drive itself, or the software's age, Its driving me crazy lately that only certain movies will play on PowerDVD without a problem, and others are just stuck on a  black screen.

I tried reinstalling PowerDVD, still no luck

Help

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2015 - 11:08 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

Try running VLC Media Player.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:13 PM

Used it on my old machine, honestly I'm not very fond of it

At this point I just want to know exactly what is causing the black screen when I put a movie in; Its at the point of one of every ten movies wont play on PowerDVD 5

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

See here http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd-ultra/patches_en_US.html

Tekken

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:31 AM

At this point I just want to know exactly what is causing the black screen when I put a movie in; Its at the point of one of every ten movies wont play on PowerDVD 5

Each to their own.  This will play most anything you want to use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:40 PM

Tried those, still no good; I install the patch it says its installed, but nothing is different and it does nothing

#7 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:41 PM

Each to their own.  This will play most anything you want to use.

Indeed it will, in fact on my old machine before I had VLC installed it would not play PAL patterend discs, then once VLC was installed, it played pretty much everything I put in there short of a scratched SVCD

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:04 AM

Do the Problem Dvds play ok on other Pcs etc ? That would rule out the Discs.

Or if it happens randomly , any Disc - i would look at the DvdRom { Swap it Out }.

I myself use Media Player Classic - MPC-HC - Version 1.7.3.0  or any newer Versions , on 3 Win 7 Pcs and Xp x 2 , And W7 Laptop.

Never had any issues , plays every file format , drag and drop any file on to it , its not pretty and basic GUI , but lots of options.

Settings - select all formats , default player , your done. 

#9 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:46 PM

The problem discs play on WMP without a problem whatsoever, starts right up. Evne tried on my old machine which has powerDVD 5 installed, started right up.

The laptop is new, drive is new, everything is new on this laptop

Edited by Dragongirl, 08 October 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:23 AM

I  would then say purchase a newer Version of PowerDvd.

Or dload a trial version and see if it works first.

As i stated MPC does the same functions if not more , so its only cosmetics if you really need PowerDvd ?

I use what works and just plays them , and added features when required , never looked back.

#11 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:28 PM

Its not cosmetics or anything of why I prefer PowerDVD over any other media player. Its what I am most used to ever since being introduced to PowerDVD back in 2002 when Windows XP first came out at the time. My first computer had it preinstalled and they gave me a backup disc, I lost that disc and got a new machine, which at the time had Windows ME on it, it crashed and burned but a friend managed to bring it back and gave me their copy of PowerDVD 3 to watch movies with because at the time I was looking to buy a copy of PowerDVD from the store {I evenutally did buy a copy of PowerDVD 5 about a month later}

PowerDVD is what I am most used to, the keyboard shortcuts, the mousewheel, everything. Its the easiest media software I have ever used in my life, I'm so used to it I can't get the hang of WMP or VLC very well due to limits on the keyboard shortcuts and things.

I guess it is just what I am most used to and want to continue with it because its so familar to me in the first place. I've yet to download the trial version as I am nervous that it will take over my current install of PowerDVD 5 which works on 9 of every 10 DVDs/DVD sets. I am not sure if it is the more recent the movie the less possiblity it will work on the version of PowerDVD or whatever. Its weird as most films I have from dating back to as far back as the 50's or older work perfectly fine {say for example the Marx brothers movies or any Bob Hope & Bing Crosby Road film}

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users