Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Needing New Power Supply...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kain

Kain

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:00 PM

Yes, I purchased a PC back in Febuary of '05 from Best Buy. Here about a month or two ago, I turned it on and left the room for about 2-3 minutes before returing to a dead PC. I know it's the Power Supply that's dead, so I'm now looking to pick on up that will work, hopefully last and for as cheap as I can. I found this one (Link) in the ads this week and it seems rather cheap (after instant and mail in rebates). Needing to know if this will work for my PC, if it's a good product, anything y'all can tell me.

PC Details:
Brand - Insignia
Model # - D400a

Hopefully that will tell you anything you need to know because I don't know to much about it. Though, I'll tell you what I do know.

Processor - P4 2.8Ghz
Memory - Came with 512mb, added an extra 512
Hard Drive - 160Gig
Other - Media Card Reader, CD-Rom & DVD+RW
Current Power Supply is a 430w

If you need any further info to help, just let me know what you need to know and how I go about finding out and I'll let you know. If this one won't work, is rather expensive compared to others, or just simply a bad product. Could you please suggest one that will work, last & hopefully cheap? Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

As far as I know, ANTEC make really good PSUs, and that is pretty much the right price for a simple 400-450W PSU of a decent brand.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

Antec have a good rep, They've been around the block :thumbsup: I am currently using two Antec cases one of which has a TruePower PSU seems quite steady.

A fairly good way to see if the PSU is gonna cope is Answer these Questions

K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#4 Kain

Kain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:08 AM

Well, given that everything is as-is compared to the day it was bought (except the added 512mb RAM), I would assume replacing a 430w with a 430w would do the trick. I find it reassuring that you both speak highly of the brand.

As for that page, I couldn't tell you what half the stuff on there ment. Though, I set/clicked the stuff I could figure out what it was and it was only up to about 280-300... so, unless I missed something or set something wrong, then I might be set. :thumbsup:

#5 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:10 PM

Nah, that sounds right. I have a 520W PSU, but was only rated at needing about 300W. It goes off the bare essential power requirement.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:01 AM

Depends on the make of the PC. Some use a proprietary power supply that isn't the same as the standard one's out there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users