Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Looking for a new, faster computer.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

I'm looking for  a new computer to replace my 5 year old Acer Veriton M2 computer that has Windows 7 Pro 32-bit OS. When I got it, it was really fast, but with all of the Microsoft patches to patch the patched patches, plus running anti-virus and anti-malware, the system has slowed down a lot. Supposedly, Microsoft will continue to support Windows 7 for another five years, so I think that now is the time to get something new while Windows 7 is still available. (I don't want Windows 10 because of all of the negative press that it has gotten on this forum and in other places.) I'm looking for a recommendation for a high speed computer that will keep a good level of performance as Microsoft continues to add even more patches in the next five years.

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop system unit only. I have all of the peripherals that I need.

My budget for the new computer is: Hopefully under $500, but may go higher if necessary.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Email, web browsing, document creation, Netflix and YouTube videos, music editing. No gaming.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? I want to use Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? No

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Usually no more that three low-performance programs running at a time; e.g., Firefox, email and Open Office.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes

Will you be overclocking? I'd rather not.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Not sure what this means.

How many monitors are you planning to use? One

Do you need peripherals? OS? I'll need to purchase a new copy of Windows 7 unless it comes pre-loaded on the computer. Actually, I'd prefer to purchase the OS separately so that I can move it to another new computer in the future if necessary (If the new computer dies, etc.)

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Want a newer, faster computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:35 PM

Anyone...???

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

Your model number is not correct, at least according to Crucial.  You may be better off upgrading your current machine, rather than buying new.

You cannot purchase a Windows 7 retail license from a store.  A retail license is the one you need to be able to legally move it to a new machine, an OEM license is only good for one machine.  Purchasing from eBay will add to your cost.  Windows 7 may not be supported on your new machine.  By that I mean that drivers may not be available.  You could up your odds by going with a business machine.  Are you open to refurbished units?

I believe that you could put new life into your machine with a Solid State Drive (SSD) and a memory upgrade.  The cost would be about half of a new machine.

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

The faceplate on my system unit says Acer Veriton M2.

A refurbished machine is just buying a used machine. It may have some new components in it, but the rest are original and will most likely die sooner than the components in a new unit.

I'm not an expert on operating systems by any means, but it seems to me that just upgrading to a 64-bit OS is going to improve performance quite a bit. It would also allow more memory to be used. I'm not sure, but 2 GB might be the largest that can be addressed by a 32-bit OS and that's what is in the computer now.

I know that my Canon flatbed scanner will not work with a 64-bit operating system because I already checked and they don't have a driver for it. That's not a big deal because scanners are relatively inexpensive. My printer has drivers for both OSs.

My current computer is over 5 years old and it's not going to last forever. Putting money into upgrades, only to have the motherboard die next year doesn't seem like a wise use of finances. Then I'd be forced to buy a new system unit anyway (with Windows 10 on it) because by then Windows 7 will be long gone. I'm not looking for a 20-30% increase in speed. I'm thinking more along the lines of a 300% increase and I don't think that I can get that without going to new hardware and a new OS.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:27 AM

4gb is the max ram for a 32bit os. That should be plenty for your current needs. I would suggest an ssd upgrade as kilroy said such as the sandisk ssd plus. You may want to download and install ccleaner. After doing a cleaning, check under tools and startup programs, as windows to tends to build up startup programs after a while. Disable anything you don't know or don't need.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users