Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Got My Modular Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

Woo hoo! Finally got enough spare change ($AU215) to get myself a modular power supply!! :thumbsup:

I got this one:

http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/woo7374PST/w007374.htm

Let me know what you all think (ha - if you even care!), and I'll let you guys know how it goes (installing, working, clutter free, cooling, etc). I wouldn't mind posting photos...how do I do that? Do the photos need to be hosted somewhere?

Cheers all... :flowers:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

You didn't fancy getting a good PSU then ? :thumbsup:
would have thought they'd get coating that reached the end of the cables for publicity photos :flowers:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Joking aside, it looks Good m8 :cool: , I Like the look of the 5.25"Power Station and coated cables.
(Jus don't change your colour scheme) :inlove:

Modular PSU's :trumpet: Here's mine Hiper HPU-4B580
K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

Nice! Those braided cables look awesome! I had looked at a few, and I also liked the look of the Flexiglow Series Connect:

http://www.flexiglow.com/products/SeriesConnect.htm

and the ANTEC NeoHE:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=28550

But I liked teh idea of reducing cabl lengths, and not having then snaking throughout the case...I guess I'll see how happy I am at the end! I guess I'm aiming at getting ready for my next systme which will be crossfire or SLI...haven't decided which yet.
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:02 PM

Flexiglow looks Good but the ANTEC looks DRAB Even the Product Flyer is DRAB :thumbsup:
Well given that you chose the Thermaltake over the others I'd say you chose the better looking of the three, I Havn't looked at the numbers jus hope its stable :flowers:

K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

#5 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

I looked at a couple of reviews:

http://www.a1-electronics.net/PcHardware/V...tion_Sept.shtml

and

http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?id=620

...and they seemed to give it a thumbs up. As for the Flexiglow - yeah it looks great but only has 1 x 12V rail (as opposed to the Tt 2 rails), and be damned if I could find a review for it anywhere!
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#6 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:56 AM

In the end you fellas will learn to evaluate PSU's by efficiency rating and PFC (power correction factor) as well as the derating wattage of the individual units then they are subjected to real computer heat >>> not that 25C bogus testing/ rating crap.

Looks and bling bling mean nothing when your 12volt rails are fluctutaing.

Models like Fortron, Seasonic(has five units that are 85% efficient!!) , Silverstone, Zippy, Sparkle, Tagan, Enermax, OCZ, Antec are the real meat and potatoes ; the antec is at the end of this line up for a reason!

if its Bling Bling you are chasing look at the 600 watt OCZ units they are modular, pretty and HAVE the real specs that make a PSU a good unit.

There is alot to be learned here: @ Johnny Guru
http://www.psuinquisitor.com/

the crossfire ready guy ???? you need alot of researdch; there are not many units that operate a real good high end crossfire system >>>> and it wont be any of the makes you guys listed above!!

have a great day >>>>..

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for the great link!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

JPHarvey, What are you running with that (specifically a graphics card)? I was suprised to see that the 12v rails(lines) only had 15A max rating. Some (if not most) top end, or even mid to high end graphics cards require 18A (min 18A/recommend 20A) rating on the +12v lines to run the cards.

Of course, if you're not running a high end gfx card, than this will do you just fine. If you don't like having a modular power supply..........you could always mail it to me :thumbsup:

Very nice set up indeed :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:15 PM

Running high end systems with high end dual video cards is provign to really seperate the cream from the crop in the PSU market.

I read a review the other day that made a Silverstone 650 watt PSU POP the overload protection when heavy gaming !! I thought until reading the article that popping a big silverstoen was impossible,

well when teamed up with a power hungry AMD x 2 dual core above 4000+ and TWO Ati X1900 pci express cards

turns out the amp draw on the x1900 is above 10amps when spiking @ each card !! wow

the silverstone people came up with a solution of connecting only one card to one of two PCI express video card connections then they used an adapter to adapt two four pin molex plugs into another pci-express grafix plug this balanced the load on the PSU

for what its worth the Enermax liberty 620 watt unit >>> ran the same system without popping

the only unit they tested that really didnt grunt when the ran it was a PC Power & Cooling 850watt PSU that cost over $400.00

now you see why intel Conroe is goign to make such a big splash >>> the new core-2 propcessors are going to drop down to 68 watts of power used instead of the over 125 watts we are playing with now !! thats a step in the right direction but can the video card makers do the same ?????

#10 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:03 PM

Steve, at the moment I am only running an ATI X800GTO, which doesn't require additional power.

linderman, thanks for SMASHING all my joy. :thumbsup: It's beginner level Modular, and I am not ready for crossfire yet - I don't have the correct motherboard, not do I have bleepeloads of cash, it is just something I am eventually aiming towards.

Can anyone tell me how to post piccies?

Edited by JPHarvey, 24 July 2006 - 12:50 AM.

[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:53 AM

How I post pictures:
1) Open a free account at http://www.photobucket.com
2) Resize the pictures to conform to their specs
3) Just below the pictures in PhotoBucket are 3 lines (had to put the rest in "code" so that the image tags would show up).
The bottom one starts with [IMG] and ends with [/IMG] .  Both sets of brackets must be included in order for the image to appear.  So, just copy the entire line and paste it into your post and the image will show up.

Edited by usasma, 24 July 2006 - 01:55 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:26 AM

Sweet thanx! I'll give it a go!
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#13 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:08 AM

On Photobucket, you could just copy the last line below your image you want hosted (it's the Img line), then paste it into your reply and it will show up automatically, so there's no need to manually input the code (unless of course, you like doing that!).

EDIT: I see what usasma was saying, to use the 3rd line below the image, which will work perfectly BTW! I thought he was saying to manually put in the code......my apologies for any confusion (as I was confused!) :thumbsup:

Edited by stevealmighty, 24 July 2006 - 08:50 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#14 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:50 AM

Hey anothery - with the Amp ratings for newer cards (what stevealmighty was talking about). Because the PSU has two power rails with 15A each, does this not make it a 30A PSU? Or does it not work like that?
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#15 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:17 AM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but.......no, it doesn't work like that. When I was having issues with my gfx card (6800gs agp), I called up the manufacturer and they said that I needed 18A on the +12v1 line (rail). I only had 15A, but I had 20A on the +12v2 line. If you look at the lines, one is +12v1, and the other is +12v2. Each work seperatly, and can't be "combined" to create a single 30A rail. Needless to say that when I replaced my PSU with one that had 25A on the +12v1, my card worked like a charm. Now, my card is 256mb ddr3 with it's own cooling fan, and is overclocked from the manufacturer, so it needs a little more juice. Before the 6800gs, I had a radeon 9500pro with an aftermarket cooling fan that worked perfectly on the older, smaller PSU with only 15A on the +12v1. Most lower end (or mid-lower end) cards don't require massive amounts of amperage from a psu.

Hope this helps!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users