Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 storebought; possible to downgrade ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:15 PM

A relative of mine just bought their new desktop rig, intended for gaming. Their problem, its Windows 10 and none of their games work or install on it, they have the Install {store bought} Windows 7 Professional disc {Unopened} which they had bought; They want  to downgrade their new rig, with Windows 10 on it, to Windows 7 Pro.

Is this possible on a store bought rig with windows 10 already activated ?

They asked me to ask here. I'm personally assuming yes as long as they have the activation key, but I told them to wait and let me ensure its possible to downgrade back to Seven before doing anything

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 October 2015 - 07:37 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:59 PM

I wouldn't imagine there being a problems installing Windows 7... as long as the BIOS is not "locked" to that machine/OS. The good thing is that once a machine has been registered with MS servers to have had a legit copy of Win 10; one can always reinstall without issues of activation. That has been my experience with Win 10 upgrades/installs.
Pop that Win 7 disk in and give it a go. Make sure the disk is properly backed-up (image) or any data needed is copied over to external media.
May be an issue with drivers, but I doubt it....

#3 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:01 AM

If you have a license for Win 7, and an OEM 10, why not double boot? That way, you can have 10 and your games, both.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

Post #2 "...as long as the BIOS is not "locked" to that machine/OS..."
As far as I know, so far windows 10 computers on sale probably still have a UEFI designed such that a user can turn off "secure boot", but it might well be that soon windows 10 machines start appearing with the UEFI locked in such a way that a user is denied the freedom to turn secureboot off and change the OS. With windows 8/8.1 the manufacturer HAD to make the UEFI such that secure-boot could be turned off, with windows 10 it's up to the manufacturer whether to make secure-bbot deactivateable.

I suggest whatever you do, make a system image of the OS as it currently is before starting anything, just-in-case.

Edited by rp88, 03 October 2015 - 02:37 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:27 PM

So far it works for him, I told him what to do {make a system image first in case things go wrong and you're stuck with Win10, then go into the UEFI and make sure the secure boot was disabled {it was disabled by default}} So he put in the Win7Pro DVDRom to install and selected boot from DVD/CDRom drive and went from there, works perfectly for the moment.

He did however install Windows 10 in his VM on a different rig to try it out over time rather then have it dumped on him all at once.

At this moment, all is good!

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users