Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yellow substance seepage?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 qbert0

qbert0

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:09 PM

I have a Asus rampage 2 gene and my northbridge is getting quite warm, the heatsink on the nb is getting hot and temps are 70 Celsius idle. There is this yellow substance that I think was tim but doesn't seem to be doing the job now.

http://s3.postimg.org/7zhwluz4j/IMG_20151001_221114.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/nv0r6q3at/IMG_20151001_221148.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:19 PM

First time I've seen that, thanks for sharing.

(I have absolutely no idea what it is)

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

Odd is it coming from the silver/red round things (capacitors) or that square it to the right of the Yellow (possibly a FirmWare Hub, FWH ).

Either way I suspect one of them is leaking and you will soon have Motherboard fail.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 qbert0

qbert0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:12 PM

It doesn't make any sense, like hopefully its just some weird thermal compound Asus used but for it to be like that is alarming.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

Looks like a wooly moth pupea.  Catapiler  is another  term.   Take a sample with a q-tip.  It may just be some adhesive left from assembly.

#6 Pentodes

Pentodes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

I don't think it's capacitor leakage, it's not yellow for one and it's looks too uniform as opposed to something squirted out...... and when heated usually gives a acrid smell, the stuff is usually corrosive it would eat through the pcb lacquer then gobbled all the copper tracks underneath.

Another reason I don't think it's capacitor damage, when they leak they usually swell up and physical damage can usually be seen from their bases, tops or sides - they become high ESR, then the ripple current starts to heat them up.... what ever it is it's mold of some form judging from the white hairy bits...... that is due to bacteria growth isn't it?

Not some toffee or chew that's been dropped in by chance?

Dave

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

Don't know but it doesn't have the appearance of seeping fluid to me either.  Try pulling it out with tweezers?

Edited by jonuk76, 03 October 2015 - 04:02 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users