Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid Product Key warning after Clean Reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

I have just done a clean reinstall of W7 home premium after a failed 10 upgrade. Everything has been going fine and I have gradually got the PC back to how it should be.

Tonight however I have had a warning message come up saying my windows 7 installation was invalid due to invalid or incorrect product key and inviting me to purchase a new one. This cannot be right. I put in the product key attached to the computer and it was accepted when I reinstalled.

What is going on? Does it have something to do with upgrading to 10 and then going back an 'unofficial' way, meaning my key has been invalidated? Or is this some form of scam? I have full security on the machine, Norton 360, Antispyware, antimalware etc all up to date and scans run recently.

Can anyone help please?

The PC is an Asus K53E. Windows 7 Home Premium.

Edited by Richardf77, 02 October 2015 - 03:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:54 AM

What would happen if windows was invalid?

I have wondered about what happens to the product key if you decide to go back after the 30 day rollback period has expired, or you have a problem. As I understand it 10 takes over the key of the previously installed version. Whats to stop you losing the key if you have to go back like I have had to do?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:17 PM

If you reverted back to the same exact version you had installed previously the product code should have been recognized.

Click on Start and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.  CMD will appear above the search box, right click on it and select Run as administrator.  This will open the Command Prompt.  Copy and paste the command below in the command prompt, then press Enter.

slmgr.vbs /dlv

Copy and paste the results in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

Will do, thanks. When you mean same version, do you simply mean like for like, replace Win7 Home Premium 64bit with another copy of the same? If you mean I have to be more exact than that and use an exact copy of the original 7 installation then there was no way i could recover it to reinstall. I did not have the chance to do a system image backup and the recovery discs would have wiped all partitions and data. I used an appropriate ISO download to replace the OS like for like.

Hope this makes sense!

#5 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

One other thing to add to my previous post.

I had assumed any legitimate ISO download of the right version would be fine as long as I put in the product key that came with the machine. I have done this before and everything was fine. I do see that Microsoft have changed things and require a product key before downloading the files. This wasn't the case when I downloaded the copy I used to reinstall 7. I used an ISO I downloaded a couple of years ago but never used.

Beginning to wonder if this was a mistake and I should have downloaded afresh. I think I was in a hurry to fix the problem I was having.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

There are no legal downloads of Win 7...which are supported by Microsoft...other than possibly This One .

Louis

#7 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:03 AM

There are no legal downloads of Win 7...which are supported by Microsoft...other than possibly This One .

Louis

Excuse me? Thats part of the Microsoft website, it has to be the official download location. There was another that Microsoft supported, but they stopped it and brought it 'in house' so to speak.

This https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7 is the proper link at least for UK users

Edited by Richardf77, 04 October 2015 - 04:04 AM.

#8 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:50 AM

Should i have used the recovery discs made when the PC was bought instead of an ISO download to reload windows 7? I thought it would be quicker and easier to simply reinstall from a more up to date download rather than go right back to factory state (and back further in time). Doing a simple install from an ISO disc also allowed me to preserve the partitions and data, wheras the recovery discs would have wiped the whole HDD dat and all. Whilst the data was backed up it seemed upnnessesary to completly clean the drive when it was windows at fault and windows was just on one partition of the drive. I am now thinking this was a mistake.

If i cant fix this product key issue, would my best solution be to run the recovery discs and completely start again with the machine? I would rather not as i now have the main software up and running - after a lot of trouble with my Security software subscription thanks to the reset. The most annoying part is that the machine is running better than it has for ages, now it has a nice clean windows to run on!

#9 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:18 AM

If your computer was a prebuilt, normally the sticker attached is a generic Win7 OEM product key, which, unfortunately, cannot be used to reactivate....

You will likely need to call MS via telephone, attempt to explain, beg, etc....

If your prebuilt has a recovery partition, it might be installed to an already- activated, which would be your best bet....

(By the way, if you truly have a valid product key (not generic OEM key), it needs to precisely match and be valid for your license, meaning, a valid product key for 32 bit Win7 Home is useless to attempt to activate Win7 64 bit Ultimate install, etc.....)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#10 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:45 AM

Yes PC came prebuilt with 7 Home Premium. Am trying to go back to it from a failed 10 upgrade. I now realise the product key that came with it origibaly cannot be used to do a clean reinstall. I was led to beleive it could be. Clean install of 7 was the only option after all other methods of recovering either 7 or 10 failed. i tried to download a new ISO file from Microsoft today. On entering the product key i have it told me that because the windows came with the computer the key could not be used to download the ISO and thus could not be reinstalled on the machine.

I have had a warning message on the PC telling me to activate using a valid key or buy a new one (damned if i am paying more money to microsoft). There is an option to activate via phone and this gives me a local (UK) number (apparently free) by which i can activate using an automated service. Hopefully noone will try to charge me or get bank/card details from me this way. A am not convinced this is genuine as it has the feel of a scam about it. However if i dont do this the computer will probably stop working in just over 3 weeks time and all the time spent on it so far will be wasted.

Bl**dy Microsoft!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:58 AM

Phone activation...has always been available from Microsoft for genuine activation issues.  Many of us have used it for varying situations.  There is no reason to be skeptical about using this provided mechanism if you have a legitimate install with a legitimate license.

Louis

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

Louis

That ISO download pertains to retail copies of Windows 7 only.  

When you mean same version, do you simply mean like for like, replace Win7 Home Premium 64bit with another copy of the same?

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.  If your copy of Windows 7 is Home premium and is the 64-bit version, this is the version of Windows 7 you must use.  If your media is questionable you should contact the manufacturer of this computer and explain that you need to install Windows 7 on a new hdd.  This may be a little white lie, but it will get you around other questions.  Depending on the manufacturer they may or may not charge you a nominal fee for the installation disc and drivers disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

Please go back to post #3 and do what I have requested.

#14 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:29 AM

Just decided to try the product key that came with the machine again, just in case I mistyped it when I reinstalled 7. Did not expect it to work but strangely it did! Or at least appears to have done so. Instead of My Computer saying I have 23 days to activate it now says Windows is activated. Like I thought it was in the first place!

Will keep a check on it in case it decides it doesn't like the key after all.

Edited by hamluis, 05 October 2015 - 11:49 AM.

#15 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:43 AM

It's great that you've got your Windows Activated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users