Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lag spikes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NewMember_786

NewMember_786

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

Hi Windows 10 support fourm :)
I was directed here from the malware removal fourms to get assistance since my computer was clean, I have been having lag spikes in games, mainly steam based (CS:GO and TF2) and in all browsers, if anyone has a idea on how to fix this it will be greatly appreciated :)
Also I do use a cooling pad so I do jot believe it could be due to overheating.
My previous thread: some logs are here if needed http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590352/possible-infection-with-a-j-rat-or-rat/page-5#entry3832252

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:52 PM

Did this issue occur before in Windows 7/8/8.1?

#3 NewMember_786

NewMember_786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:53 PM

Yes/no it did occur but it was less frequent

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

I ask because Windows 10 drivers are new, and are full of problems. A lot of people are complaining about lag spikes or generally low framerate in games in Windows 10. 

What laptop is this? What GPU does it have? Do you have the latest Windows 10 drivers for the GPU installed?

#5 NewMember_786

NewMember_786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:17 PM

I'm getting Internet spikes not fps
I have a ram of 16 gb
Nvidia GeForce 750m
Yes I have my drivers updated

#6 Randem

Randem

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:23 PM

This may bring some light to your issue - Windows 10 Lagging

Pay close attention to items 7 thru 11. This will tell you about your internet spikes and how to solve them for the most part.

People who don't know what they are talking about will provide arguments instead of any valid proof to their claims...

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:12 AM

In addition to Randem's excellent suggestions, I also make these:

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10
- W10 clean install

Finally, right after you have problems, please generate this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 NewMember_786

NewMember_786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

Ok I will do so once I can get On to my computer
Also I was thinking about doing a fresh Windows 10/8.1 installation but I do not have a cd drive nor recovery CDs so if anything dose go wrong I do not have a way of reverting it

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:20 AM

OK, I presume that this is an OEM computer - like a Dell or an HP

The first thing to try would be to see if you have a recovery partition, and if you can boot to it in order to see if it works.

To help with this I'll need to know the make and model of the system and what operating system came on it originally.

Also, how long has W10 been installed for?

Have you activated W10 on Microsoft's servers (check in the Settings...Update and Security...Activation to see if it's activated)?

If so, you can clean install W10 from a USB drive:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Be sure to be connected to the internet, then skip the first time it asks for a product key, and tell it "not now" the second time it asks for a product key.

Once the installation finishes check to be sure that it's activated.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 NewMember_786

NewMember_786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

ok, the windows 10 has been registered for awile

i ran all of the updates for my pc

the pc i have is inspiron 17 7000 series but it is not on their site

spects:

Nvidia ge force 750m

16 GB ram

1TB hard drive

no Optical drive

Touch screen

i7 processor 

My antivirus is already windows 10

Edited by NewMember_786, 04 October 2015 - 11:24 AM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:56 PM

If it's been over a month you cannot go back to the previous OS.

But you can use recovery media to reinstall Windows "clean" (this'll wipe everything out).
Or, you can install W10 "clean" and then let it activate automatically (skip the first prompt for a product key, and tell the second prompt to wait until later, then it should activate automatically).

#12 NewMember_786

NewMember_786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

Hi sorry for the time it took me to reply but after updating it began to run smoothly but I have a lonnggg startup time and shut down time after updating, still occurring ever since I updated

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:50 PM

Which steps did you perform when you say you updated the system?

Did you do all of the things that I suggested?

#14 NewMember_786

NewMember_786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:27 AM

I did not do 1
2 I did not because my antivirus is already Windows 10
I did the others and checked for updates on my drivers,
Step 4 I had 3 updates available and since then I have been having a long startup time

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

Step 1 is actually one of the most important steps.

You can use Process Monitor to view the startup and see if you can isolate the problem area(s).

Warning tho' - the logs are huge and it takes a bit of knowledge to find things using the filters (I'm not real skilled at this).

It's free from here:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx

Here's an article on how the author did a startup trace:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2012/07/02/3506849.aspx

Beware - if left running, the log can quickly fill up your hard drive.  Be sure to stop the scan as soon as you've finished the boot trace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users