Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation usb drive for Win 8 (8.1)?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 micardi999

micardi999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

Hi, I'm 82 years of age, and while I don't think I've got Altzheimas the memory is not what it was, .....but then neither is the software!  My older main computer devoured itself recently and I thought that rather than put a new MB and/ or a CPU in the thing, I'd be better off getting a new desktop box complete, as it would have all the new goodies like sata and built-in HDMI and dramm3 etc.  However I had bought Win 8 with update to 8.1 and both 32 bit and 64 bit versions....in fact the full retail package..I thought!  I bought it originally to put in my rebuilt box, before I decided to get a complete new one.  However to save a bit of the hard-earned pension, I didn't get the new one with windows installed, thinking I could install it myself.  Now however I find it doesn't want to boot up from the Win 8 setup disk!  I asked on an open line what should I do and someone (I think Microsoft) told me to put in a usb stick and it would make it ok!  After about two hours (my broadband line is a bit narrow at times) the bloody thing came up and said "not enough room on the usb drive. It's an 8 gig usb  stick and as far as I could judge the whatever it was that was meant to go on there was only about 4gig, in any case I thought the thing would format thew stick first.

Help!  Do I need to buy yet another mem ory stick? or how do I clean this one up!  After all that how do I persuade the thing to boot up using the mem stick, and do I first have to load the 32bit program followed by the 64bit program or can I start off by usingh the 64 bit disk straight after the mem stick?  The MB is a ASROCK FM2 A58M- HD4, and the cpu is a AMD A4 7300 dual core with1.0Mb total cache. I know this is really a gaming box, but whilst I do not use any games, I do a lot of browsing and on line streaming, and living in Victoria Australia it gets a bit warm here sometimes and as the one that ate itself was about the third to go more or less the same way (overheating) I figured a games box would stand a rather better chance of getting through a few summers!  Please Assist!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:32 AM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

You cannot copy the files form the install disk to the USB flash drive and have it boot.  Do you have access to another computer with a optical DVD drive?

#3 micardi999

micardi999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

Yes I have, but I'm not sure how reliable the optical DVD drive program is, I have a history of not very good results when trying to use it!   Mostly I have had problems trying to download self-help disks!  Of course it could well be finger trouble on my part!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

Download Imgburn here. When you install it make sure you opt out of any optional programs it offers. Place your install DVD in the Optical drive. Run Image burn and create a iso disk image from the DVD disk. Make sure the read speed is not faster than 4x. Use 4x in both dropdown boxes.

After you have created the iso image download Rufus here. Attach your flash drive you want to use for the install. Run Rufus. Make sure your flash drive is in the first dropdown box. Select MBR for a partition scheme. In the box you see FreeDos select iso image. Click the folder icon and browse to your iso file you created. Make sure QuickFormat is checked. Press Start. 

Boot the new computer with the flash drive attached. Does it detect your bootable flash drive? If not you can create a bootable USB flash drive or iso file of Windows 8.1 here. Use it to install 8.1 with the key you have already purchased.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users