Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop Arrives Today- Setup Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lokimonster

Lokimonster

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:29 AM

Hello All,

I'm a low level user at this time- email, searches, small amount of work and some online shopping and banking. Third laptop in 12 years and now buying a little higher end since I keep them so long also wish to increase knowlege base now and trial some new programs. Moving from Vista to 8.1. Thanks for any suggestions. Device is used on Verizon Fios broadband. Last few years only used MSE/ Defender with on-demand Panda or ESET or Emsisoft. HP printer/scanner, VLC media player, Adobe, MSWord, Safari, itunes and Seagate external HD. GF and I have iPads and iphones.

Laptop is HP Envy, 8.1 Pro 64,  i7- 5500u processor, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 950m 4GB graphics, 512 GB SSD with an extra bay available.

So, after initial setup I had planned to install AOMEI Backupper and make a backup copy. Remove any excess programs (CCleaner?)and backup another copy.

Wish to trial and start using a:

Password manager (Looking at Lastpass, Dashlane or Sticky at the moment-- all  cross platform?- need to check)

Trial an Anti executable?  Or other security?-- have tried MBAM and Hitman in the past.

And if ambitious later maybe some thing like Sandboxie or Comodo CIS.

Really need a  scanning program to go paperless for important home and work materials. I have looked up a few but have no experience nor friends who have used one. Any suggestions, especially if it can be used with current HP 8600 printer/scanner?

So, lots of reading ahead and back ups in case I do something stupid since I intend to play around.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Regards,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:52 AM

Welcome to the BC Forums!

What do you mean by knowledge? What do you want to achieve? Do you want to learn more about computers?

#3 Lokimonster

Lokimonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:18 PM

Hello CodeSmasha

Mainly a good setup now....Lots of steps afterwards..  POSSIBLY ending up seeking formal educ in healthcare informatics.

I don't know enough to know WHAT I need to know for now. Hence lots of reading to be done. 

Computer use has been mostly limited to plug and play and now I want to understand more.

A drive by loading of rogue "Spyware Wizard" (removed with assistance of Gladiator Security Forum) and an IM malware picked up from friends computer a few years ago is all I have ever had to deal with along with changing one HD myself.

Looking to learn and experiment with a few new programs the find the ones which will satisfy my limited and pretty much mundane needs. Security to meet my needs with (now) pretty safe surfing. Minimal downloads from trusted sites. Password management- esp if can be used w/ mobile devices (Apple) . Scanning docs for storage. Safe online purchasing and banking.  Ability to restore system if I I screw up. No data stored on computer.. Either cloud or external HD used. Recommendations for software or other sites are welcomed.

For now I am looking comments to do a good job with Setup/ backup laptop with Windows 8.1 Pro.  What do you experienced guys do differently?

If I later upgrade to W10 do I lose the 8.1 or can I reload it?          

1) Initial start up and backup w/ AOMEI. I then plan to-   

2) Remove excess programs from HP

3) Add printer/scanner, safari, itunes, VLC .. Password  manager.  Additional security or stick with MSE for now and trial a few?

4) Overkill. Considering Sandboxie for surfing and trialing other software prior to fully installing. Learn it for later use.

Reasonable?

Perform backups after all steps above?

Again- What do you more experienced people do?

Like everyone- I'd like a nice secure setup to run safely and be productive -not planning to beome a Security Expert. .  

No dark surfing, no cheat sites...... 

Want my initial setup to be as pristine as possible. So I'm looking for help with that for now...  and be back with questions later....

Regards,

Edited by Lokimonster, 02 October 2015 - 10:27 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

One thing which you can do immediately which will make using the Windows 8.1 more familiar would be to download and install ShellExView Shell Extention Manager For Windows.  This will provide a start button and a start menu.

Before you start removing programs you should play around with the computer until you are becoming comfortable with its use.  OEM computers are notorious for all the "bloatware" which they install.  If you have a large enough hdd and enough RAM I would simply just ignore these.  Once you know a little more about what you want to start when the computer is powered up you can change the list of startup items.  But Windows 8.1 starts so fast that you may not even notice any slowness.

I would like to make you aware that you do not want to have two antivirus programs on this computer.  This can cause a multitude of problems.  I don't know what antivirus free trial came with this computer, but you will have to eventually need to decide if you want to purchase it or use a free antivirus.  There are several good free programs out there.  Windows Defender which is the antivirus provided with Windows 8.1 is a good antivirus.  It will be disabled if another antivirus is installed.  This is to make it so that you can't have two antivirus programs running at the same time.  If you want to uninstall the antivirus which you have the free trial tool, Google the antivirus and find their removal tool and run it to remove all traces of the antivirus.

Malwarebytes Antimalware is a good program to run occasionally to make sure nothing has gotten through you AV.

If you have any specific questions, I will be willing to answer what I can for you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

As a tip, the first thing to do on a new machine, before you connect to the internet even, is make yourself a system image, that way if anything goes wrong it's easy to revert the machine back to it's original state. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/#manual You cn make some more images later after you've installed programs, put all yoursettings as you like them, got your antivirus working, installed any updates you need, removed any unwanted bundleware which was on the machine when it arrived...

For security I suggest that alongside whichever antivirus you choose, and alongside any anti-malware you run, install malwarebytes anti-exploit and use firefox as your browser with the extension Noscript installed, these two would have probably prevented that drive-by virus you once suffered, they should make recurrences of that event far less likely, drive-bys canot work when scripts are being blocked.

Regarding windows defender, you can use it if you like, but in my experience avast free is a better antivirus, also bitdefender free is known to be very good. In any case an antivirus alone isn't enough, you need other tools too, especially scriptblocking (like noscript)and anti-exploit protection (malwarebytes anti-exploit).

Post #3: "Perform backups after all steps above?"
Yes, do that, a very wise idea. Make backup images with windows; internal tool, with macrium free and with this aomei tool you like (I have no experience with AOMEI, I'm not even sure whether it does system iamges or jus file backups, that's why suggest you make sure to use macrium and windows' own tool as well, make sure that you have a backup of the full system).

Edited by rp88, 03 October 2015 - 03:39 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:23 AM

I do that too, then I put an AV on my system before I connect.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

Post #6: People wanting to do that need to make sure they have either bought an installer disc for their av (rather than downloading it from online), or that they have already downloaded it's installer exe file via another computer (which ofcourse must be a computer knonw to be utterly clean) then copied it to usb/cd/dvd so they can copy it onto the new machine then run it there. In this latter case users need to have a full offline installer, rather than what some installers are, which is a very small exe file which exists only to then go online and download the rest of the program.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users