Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ridiculous Computer Malfunction

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Weylo

Weylo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:39 AM

About 2 months ago I built my first computer with the help of a few very knowledgable friends with multiple past experiences of building computers. The budget was about $2000-$2500 (Sweden, so Swedish Crowners 16000 SEK).

Everything went smooth and well and we didn't everything (to the best of our knowledge) as we we're supposed to (Used anti-static wristwrap etc) and the computer started, installed the operating system and everything seemed to be working fine. Checked the temperatures and it was all good, all fans spinning.

Once I started to run very demanding games the issues began, multiple games such as Dying Light, Assassin's Creed Unity & ARK crashes seemingly randomly, resulting in 1 or 2 error messages saying that the AMD graphic driver has crashed, or that the video driver has crashed and has been recovered and now exiting.

I and my friends have searched endlessly for solutions trying such things as:

Replacing the graphics card
Replacing the motherboard
Flashing the motherboard, twice
Installing older drivers
Installing beta drivers
Removing all drivers manually and using an external program and then reinstalling
Installing no driver except the obligatory ones and accepting no extra programs in the installation, taking only the driver (custom install).
Reinstalling Windows 10, twice, also wiping the hard drives
Checking and changing the graphic card (and processor) clock and lowering them, we also tried raising them because why not.
Also tried replacing the power supply because well got desperate.
Also tried a bunch of other stuff.

After formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows I did for a short while experience another issue, a graphical issue on the desktop which made the parts of the background that I selected (clicked and dragged) became inverted after releasing and staying that way until a restart.

None of these things we've tried has stopped the original issue of demanding games crashing with a video driver crash error randomly, after any time between a couple minutes to about an hour, but always crashing never the less.

I am now getting desperate and I'm considering simply selling all the pieces of my computer and spend whatever money I can recover elsewhere.

Sorry for making this sound like a bit of a sob story, but I'm really just getting desperate for fixing this.

Note:

My compute hardware specs are:

AMD r9 390
Gigabtye z97 ud3h (old motherboard) Gigabyte z97x soc (new motherboard)
NZXT H440 chassi
H100i GTX water cooling
4690K processor
850 evo 250gb ssd (Operating System drive)
2x 1tb hdd from Western Digital
750W gold power supply

Edited by Weylo, 02 October 2015 - 01:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:43 AM

You said replacing the video card, but you only mention the r9 390, did you simply try another of the same card type? If so, any chance of experimenting with a completely different video card?

Also, there's no mention of RAM, has it been the same memory all through?

Edited by Platypus, 02 October 2015 - 02:43 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:43 AM

Try testing the ram I guess. Beyond that you might need an exorcist :smash:

#4 Weylo

Weylo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:06 AM

Yes, I've replaced the graphics card with one of the same type. I will try testing the RAM as I have not done that yet, thanks for the replies, I will try to update later with results!

#5 Weylo

Weylo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

I have now used Memtest86 to throughly test my 16gb of ram and no errors were found through several passes. I'll give increasing the TdrDelay a chance, but if that doesn't work maybe I'll turn to an exorcist.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

My best suggestion if you still have problems would be to see if you can borrow the use of an nVidia card to eliminate an AMD hardware/drivers issue.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:56 PM

You can also try removing some ram. Like try running with just 1 of the sticks, and then the next stick, etc, and see if the crashes ever stop in which case you have found some bad ram (even though I know you are testing the ram, this is still something I would try).

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:25 AM

Please post also the motherboard BIOS version and Power Supply brand next time.

Tekken

#9 Weylo

Weylo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:40 AM

The power supply brand is Fractal, and I've tried multiple BIOS versions, no difference.

I have now used TdrDelay to delay the time it takes before I receive the video driver error. I've tried delaying it from 2 (the default setting) to 5 seconds, aswell as 10, 18, and 3600. The only result I got was that the video driver crash report was delayed, and everything remains freezed for a longer period of time.

#10 Weylo

Weylo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

Bump. I do not have a Nvidia card available to test with.

#11 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:05 PM

Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with heat, but, how are the temperatures?

Is Windows 10 auto updates always changing your video driver on you to a bad one (and you somehow didn't notice that)?

Seeing if the problem still happens on Windows 7 or seeing if the problem still happens with an Nvidia card seem like the only ways to get more information (that I can think of).

The problem (considering what you have tried so far) suggests that it is a Windows 10 <-> AMD driver problem, or an interaction problem between that particular video card and that particular motherboard (assuming both z97 motherboards are extremely similar).

The other question is, how many high demand games are you having this problem on. If it's several then you can rule out the game (assuming it's not like 3 versions of the same game, you know)   Maybe you could disable certain advanced video card capabilities in the video card control panel (Catalyst??) or in the video game settings if it's not some console port with hardly any settings choices, and see if that prevents the crash.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:23 PM

The Fractal PSU has good reviews but doesn't mean its not part of the problem. Can you try borrowing a known good power supply that is compatible with your hardware demand setup?

Tekken

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:20 AM

I'd suggest installing Windows 7 temporarily.  You don't have to activate it, so just use the 30 day trial (without entering a product key).

See if the system is more stable than with W10.

Beyond that, let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Weylo

Weylo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:56 AM

The temperatures are all below 35c on idle, the CPU stays around 40-45 on load and the Graphics card around 60c with Afterburner on. I will try Windows 7 or a different PSU asap. I have tried with several demanding games such as ARK, Assassin's Creed Unity & Dying Light.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:17 AM

Resource link to the possible causes with regard to TDR video error http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000116

Usual causes:  Video driver, overheating, bad video card, ?BIOS, ?Power to card (see Significant Posts section below)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users