Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to restore very old PC from early 2000s but shows nothing when booting it


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:38 PM

Alright so I have this PC that I used to use very long ago and I really haven't used it since like around 2006 or 2007. It runs Windows XP with a Pentium 4 CPU. My plan is to restore it and install Windows 2000 on it. The only problem I have is that when I power on the PC you will hear the PC fans and the lights and both disc drives work as well as the floppy drive but it shows nothing except black on the monitor and it currently has no GPU installed on it. I suspect that it could be that the CMOs battery died because I had a similar issue a year ago with my Dell Vostro 200 where I was trying to repair something so I removed the CMOS battery from the motherboard and after a while I tryed putting it back but I did it incorrectly and the guy at the PC repair shop said that the CMOS battery was the issue. Could I be facing the same problem here but instead I have to replace the CMOS battery with another CR2032 battery? Please reply here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 sparklestar

sparklestar

  • Members
  • 348 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:02 PM

That's a long time. Personally, and I can't declare this is the best thing to do, but, personally I would disassemble the computer (except the motherboard and cpu and little wires from the case to the motherboard), clean it all up (even check how the contacts look on the ram and cards etc) and then rebuild it.

At least you need to make sure everything is plugged in fully, which rebuilding would do.

 

Also I might want to try a graphics card in it (some old one I have lying around) to see if that works.

 

I have no knowledgeable opinion about the battery issue.

 

Why do you want Windows 2000 instead of XP? If it's not for a specific reason like running some old game that doesn't work on XP, then imo XP would be better since you know you won't have driver problems and because XP is better.



#3 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:18 PM

That's a long time. Personally, and I can't declare this is the best thing to do, but, personally I would disassemble the computer (except the motherboard and cpu and little wires from the case to the motherboard), clean it all up (even check how the contacts look on the ram and cards etc) and then rebuild it.

At least you need to make sure everything is plugged in fully, which rebuilding would do.
 
Also I might want to try a graphics card in it (some old one I have lying around) to see if that works.
 
I have no knowledgeable opinion about the battery issue.
 
Why do you want Windows 2000 instead of XP? If it's not for a specific reason like running some old game that doesn't work on XP, then imo XP would be better since you know you won't have driver problems and because XP is better.

I want 2000 instead of XP because I already have an old Compaq Windows XP desktop that I successfully restored 1 year ago and now it's working like a charm but I would like 2000 because I would use it for playing older PC games like DOOM, Wolfenstein, Quake, Classic Counter Strike, Classic Team Fortress, Unreal Tournament 1999, etc-----. Also I did find an older Graphic Card that I may want to use. It is some sort of 3dfx graphics card but if that doesn't work out then I will get a NVIDIA card for that desktop because I live near a local PC repair shop that sell old parts and maybe they could provide something for me but I'll just see how the 3DFX card turns out and if it won't work or support the games that I want it to support then I'll turn towards the older NVIDIA card. I would probably use the XP to play games like Modern Warfare 1, Modern Warfare 2, Team Fortress 2, DOOM 3, etc--------.

Edited by POKEGAMERZ, 01 October 2015 - 10:42 PM.


#4 sparklestar

sparklestar

  • Members
  • 348 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:08 PM

I wonder if windows 98 would be better? I suspect it would but I'm not sure.



#5 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:07 PM

Update- I just booted up the PC and for some reason it magically started beeping and showing a BIOs again. When I boot up the PC it shows the BIOs and it says F1 is to run setup and F2 is to load default values and continue but the same screen has a message that says "CMOS settings wrong" Can you please explain the message to me?

#6 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:18 PM

Update 2- The beeps and BIOS no longer appear at startup and shows blackness again. Could this be from me pulling the power cord or flipping the switch on the PSU because it was normal before.

#7 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:07 PM

Update 3- Most likely I may be having a failing PSU because I have done a number of tests on it and basically there is really just a 10% chance that I hear the beep codes and see the BIOS on my monitor while the other 90% of the time is no beep codes and blank monitor. Also I have tryed 2 new methods-
1 Disconnecting and reconnecting the motherboard PSU cable.
2 Powercycling.
I do not know the exact brand of my motherboard but a description would be that it is red and it says something like DC400 in the middle. My theory is that the problem being caused is my PSU and not my motherboard. At this point I most likely am going to have to buy a new or used PSU at my local PC repair shop. Does anyone think that my explanation is true? If so then please post here.

#8 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

My motherboard is a PCchips M925ALU motherboard.

#9 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

Update 4- I went to the local PC repair shop and the guy said it's too old to repair and all parts need replacement but I'm not paying over $200 to replace parts. Any more suggestions on how to fix it?

#10 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:25 PM

Update 5- I replaced the CMOs battery with a Duracell DL2032 and it was beeping and showing the BIOs again but then when I went inside the case againto connect my CD and hard drives to my motherboard it went back to no beeps and no BIOs. Please explain to me what's going on.

#11 sparklestar

sparklestar

  • Members
  • 348 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

I don't know, and it would be nice if someone else replied.

 

In the meantime, one thing you can try if you haven't already is to disconnect as much stuff as possible. Make the system as simple as possible (no drives, no extra cards that you don't need, etc) and see if it cleanly gets to the bios (to rule out problem parts)



#12 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:15 PM

My motherboard is a PCchips M925ALU motherboard.


Actually my motherboard is a PCchips PC400 VT8233. Sorry but all the red PCchips motherboard look alike.

Edited by POKEGAMERZ, 08 October 2015 - 10:26 PM.


#13 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

Update 6- I just bought a new PSU and I connected at least most of the cables in but it does the same thing. I think I know why it is doing this. The answer could be that the ATX 12V cable is not plugged in and the problem is that I cannot find the place to connect it on my motherboard. Help please.

Edited by POKEGAMERZ, 13 October 2015 - 05:12 PM.


#14 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

Update 7- I went back to the guy and he said that the black CPU and CPU fan holder had a broken piece on it causing power failure and he replaced the black CPU holder thingy and now I can install Windows 2000 and play some old school PC games.

#15 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:21 PM

Alright guys so I appreciate you all trying to help out and all. I winded up installing Windows 98SE because Windows 2000 was refusing to install on my PC and all I need now are some drivers and games and I'm all good to go. Once again thanks for trying to help.

Edited by POKEGAMERZ, 13 October 2015 - 11:23 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users