Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Wireless Lan

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:25 PM

I have a line in my hair for scratching my head so much. :thumbsup: I cannot access my wireless network on my work laptop.

I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 with Windows 2000 SP4 installed with all current critical updates. Under Device Manager, I have:

NETWORK ADAPTORS

i) Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adaptor (10/100) - this works fine

ii) Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card - I have an ON/OFF switch on the side of the comp, which I've turned ON (I think this is my wireless port??). When I do this, an orange light ignites on the far right, next to the other lights on the front panel of the Laptop (like HD, battery, AC, etc.). There are 6 areas for lights in total.
Now, when I right-click the device and click Enable, it enables OK, says that the device is working properly but I get an icon with a red X through it in my system tray and this is what it says:

INFRA WIRELESS - Network Cable Unplugged

But, this IS a wireless connection, why the frig would I need a cable!?!? :flowers:

I've also noticed the following in Device Manager and don't know if it's related.

Under INFRARED DEVICES I have:

i) SMC IrCC - Fast Infrared Port - this is working OK

ii) Built-in Infrared Device - there is a yellow exclamation mark through it. When I click on Properties, it says:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I've tried uninstalling, re-installing the device and updating the drivers. It temporarily works, but then when I reboot, I get the same condition.

Needless to say, whenever I go to a hotel or airport with a wireless LAN service, I cannot get access to the internet.

Any suggestions, would be very much appreciated. :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:31 PM

Forgot to mention, that my wireless LAN is a dynamic IP address (obtain automatically). I also have the following Toshiba products installed:

Bluetooth
Client Wireless LAN Client Manager

Don't know if this is relevant.

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

start here, here is the toshiba site right to your model laptop for all yor drivers, out it in your favorites

http://209.167.114.38/support/download/fil...ro/sp6000en.htm

so, download the wireless card driver and utility. the utility is what you need to connect. unlike win xp that has a built in wireless utility in the operating system, you have to use the utility that came with the wireless drivers. so when they are installed and you are prompted to reboot, the utility should load on startup. with your wireless switch on, double click on the it and follow the directions to connect, bear in mind>if you had previously setup some type of security (WEP, WPA) on your router for wirelless protection, you must remember to include it in the utility setup or you will not be successful in connecting.
post back to let us know how you made out
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

Hi, thanks for responding so quickly!

A few questions:

1) I see, on the link that you posted, the Wireless LAN driver for Win2K. Fine, I'll download that. But which utility do I need to download? There are bunch listed, but which one?

2) For my other problem (the yellow exclamation point through my built-in IR device and the Code 10 error), should I update that driver as well? The "Toshiba IR Driver"??

3) Finally, I want to back up my current drivers before updating. This may be a silly question, but is it just a matter of backing up the driver file that is listed in the "Driver details" section? Or is there more to it then that?

Hopefully you can respond before I get into the office tommorrow. Thanks for your assistance thus far! :thumbsup:

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

some very uick answers
1.there is only 1 utility forthe wlan, and make sure youdl the driver for win 2k
2.yes, you likly wont use it, but it wont hurt
3.there are crappy programs out there forthat, they dont work great, and all the drivers directlt from toshiba are on that site anyway, so dont worry about backingthem up
g2g sry bout the quickies.
post back please

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:06 AM

OK, I followed your instructions and this is where I'm at:

- installed W-LAN, rebooted, turned on switch and enabled - I still get the "Network Cable Unplugged" error. :thumbsup:

As I said earlier, I only need it when I'm travelling on business, so right now I'm in the office hooked up to the regular ethernet LAN. Do I need to go to an area with a wireless LAN to "configure" my connection? What exactly does the "Network Cable Unplugged" message mean in this case?

From my questions, you can tell I'm not much of a guru at networking. Please help me with a walkthrough on what to do next. :flowers:

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

well, you will get the message network cable unplugged, when the physical cable (ethernet cable, network cable) is unplugged. it has nothing to do with the wireless part. you can be surfing online wirelessly and get that message, which is true, because you are wireless. i guess i was under the understanding you couldnt get connected wirelessly. canyou connect when you plug in? have you tried to connect where there is a wireless access point?
sorry for misunderstanding

#8 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:34 AM

Snapper, I get this "network cable unplugged" when I try to enable my wireless LAN, however the ethernet cable is plugged in. I tried this at the office while my network was already hooked up.

Also, I had to uninstall the driver from the web page you gave me because, the laptop froze on bootup. I had to go into Safe mode to re-install the original driver that came with my laptop. Freeze-up now gone.

There is NO wireless point at my office, so I can't test it here. However, when I travel next, I'll try it out again. But I know that I tried everything when I was out on the road and I could not connect wirelessly even after following instructions given in the hotel/airport on the proper LAN name, ports, etc.

If you have any other suggestions, please post them here, otherwise I'll get back to you the next time I have a chance to try it out.

Thx. again. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users