Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need to create a Win7 reinstall disc, but I can't download it from Windows.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 forest bayou

forest bayou

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:22 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 that has Windows 7 installed (pre-installed) on it. It is not currently running and it appears that the Windows program is corrupted. I have saved what files I can, and I need to reinstall Win7. But, I can't find my pre-made reinstall disc. I know there is a way to have Win7 make a disc, but I can't remember how. All the tutorials tell me to go to Microsoft and download it from there. Except when I put in my valid key, it tells me that they don't support pre-installed software. My mom has a functional computer with Win7 on it, so I can make the disc there and install it on mine and use my key. But I need someone to show me how to create the disc. 

Please and Thank You,

-Melissa

p.s. I tried a Win7 startup repair disc and it said it found nothing wrong. HA!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dog_pound

Dog_pound

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

Hi Melissa, You can download a windows 7 program in a ISO format.  But if you made a disk from your moms machine why bother with it, just continue to use that one. I'd just use a browser search of windows 7 ISO and you should find it. I have a dell disk i bought online as my machine was custom built, So the key shouldn't matter.  Sounds like you have a little bit of the problem i have, that i'll be posting soon.

#3 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:57 AM

Warning!

DigitalRiverContent is no longer available, so getting ISO's from GetintoPC is not recommended as the servers come from the Middle-East. Any 3rd Party sites are not trusted either. The only site to retrieve it is from Microsoft that means you'll need to have your product key.

#4 forest bayou

forest bayou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

I tried getting it from Microsoft, but they won't acknowledge my key because it comes from a pre-installed version.

And I don't have a disc. I need someone to tell me how to make a disc from my mom's computer.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

It appears you have an OEM Windows on your computer.  From your experience, I learned along with you that apparently Microsoft does not accept OEM product keys.  Control Panel, Backup and Restore, Create a System Repair Disk -- however, I do not believe it will produce what you want.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

There should be a recovery partition on the hdd which is used to reinstall the operating system.  But if you can't start this computer to use any of the F keys you may not be able to access it.

You can call Dell and explain that you can't access the recovery partition and need the installation and drivers discs to reinstall your operating system.  They have been known to provide these for free in the past, if not, it would be a small nominal fee.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users