Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retrieving back up, from the external drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

Please help, I sent my laptop out for service for a physical problem, a broken hinge & they sent it back to me, with not only a new hinge, but a new screen. The bad news is, they did a reset restore, meaning they wiped off ALL the data.

I thought I was backing the machine up, every month as prescribed, but I can't seem to find any files on the external drive? It seemed all was fine, as I would have a message on the laptop's back up module, that the files were backed up.

The machine is a Toshiba Satellite L55 B5294, if that makes a difference?

I have a screen shot of the external drive files. Any help is greatly appreciated & I am hoping that I am not lost!

Thanks ahead of time,

Sincerely,

mixpix

Attached Files

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

What is listed in your jeffstoshlaptop folder? The other folder, WindowsImageBackup is usually created when doing a System Image. I don't use Windows file backup but do you see any current dates in WindowsImageBackup?

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:59 PM

I believe with this sort of backup you need to install the backup application and restore the files through that, they are not stored in the same way as your normal file system.

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:34 AM

Hi mixpix,

If you goto control panel > backup and restore > recover system settings or your computer (option 1 restore to an earlier time)

or > advanced recovery options.

that will tell you how to recover your backups (if you used windows back up)

Hope that helps 

Hedge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users