Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this gaming build good? I'm about to order it.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ReadingAsh

ReadingAsh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:35 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ReadingAsh/saved/pGhXsY

Are all the parts nice? My budget is around 1000-1100 US dollars. I want to be able to play all different types of games at 60FPS 1080p.Please tell me any parts I should switch out. Also, how well will the wireless wifi adapter work? Is there a monitor for cheap that is pretty good as well? Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

CPU: That's fine if that is the best you can afford. I like to buy the fattest CPU I can since it will theoretically last longer regarding games and stuff.

Motherboard: I personally don't care for ASRock, but that is just my opinion. The board there only has one full size PCI-E slot, meaning you can not install dual video cards if you want. You also can't install something like a video recorder alongside the video card. If you want I can find you a slightly better board for nearly the same price.

Memory: That's good, boy memory sure is getting cheap these days!

SSD: Too little in size. If you plan gaming you will definitely want more space. You can install games on a larger and cheaper drive but you will lose that instant load screen performance you get with an SSD. I say the minimum for SSDs is 240GB, if you are a gamer.

HD: Why do you have a an additional drive? Need more storage space? Need to know why it is there to better advise.

GPU: That is a potent card! I don't think you'll have much trouble keeping things at 1920x1080 @ 60 fps. Keep in mind it is big and may not fit every type of case. According to newegg it is 13.25" x 8.5". Make sure to google the card a lot, some lines have problems like blank screens, BSODs, weird bugs in games, etc. Video card is the most expensive part so do your research! (I can research for you if you like.)

Case: Looks nice, has accessible internal drive bays, and plenty of mounts for cable ties. I can't speak for the brand.

PSU: You do not have to get 750W unless you are going to use 750W. The video card you selected has a recommended PSU of 375W. A stock 430W power supply may be enough for your set up. If you reconfigure your parts I can select a more appropriate PSU for you. But, a lower wattage more appropriate one may cost more, strangely. Work on that later.

DVD: Only get if you know you are going to play/burn/rip dvd's etc. Most content these days is streamed or downloaded, not installed from a physical disc. I set up a computer for a friend and he did not bother with the CD drive. We installed Windows 7 over a USB stick.

WiFi Card: Looks like a good card. Are you going to connect your desktop to a wireless network? I ask because wireless networking is fairly complicated compared with plain ole' wired networking. It is not worth it if you have a wired connection right there.

Mouse & Keyboard: My personal opinion is buy this later if you already have a keyboard and mouse. That keyboard is very expensive for a keyboard and is only worth it if you are going to game A LOT! I mean all the freaking time. I am a prolific gamer and I don't see the need yet for a fancy keyboard. I also use a Belkin Nostromo for gaming and if it died I would probably get a 40-80 dollar keyboard. I can't speak for Razer as a brand, but I will give you one solid advice for mice. Get one that fits and is comfortable. If it is not those two things at least, you wasted your money. An unfitting mouse is a low performing mouse.

Edited by Gorbulan, 01 October 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#3 ReadingAsh

ReadingAsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:21 PM

Thank you for the tips. :) Which motherboard,CPU, and PSU would you
recommend? I thought I could store games on the HD? I will take off the optical drive cause I probably don't need it.I was getting a mouse and keyboard because I don't have any, but could you recommend any cheaper? Also, my wifi router is downstairs.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:38 AM

If you have the cash, consider a Skylake build.  It's a new platform, so it does come at a premium, but since it is so new, you can expand it for quite a while.  The Intel Core i5-6500 paired with a ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 motherboard and Patriot Signature Line 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 should be an excellent core to a PC.  As for a power supply, it depends on what you want to do with your PC in terms of a GPU.  If you want to use just one card, the SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold would be good, if you want to use two, the SeaSonic X Series X-850.  The actual wattage is dependent on the GPU's in use.

As an alternate to your current GPU, the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 is worth considering.  It runs a little bit faster than a 390, produces less heat and uses less power.  However, it is more expensive.

3939.png

#5 ReadingAsh

ReadingAsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Thank you very much for the tips. :)

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

DJBPace has some solid recommendations for keeping your computer fresh. If you want your computer to stay powerful I would go with the newer stuff, if you can afford it. Keep in mind, hard drives/ssd's, video cards, and anything else you put in the PCI-E slot are upgradeable and replaceable so you can always get something really nice later on. Replacing the motherboard and CPU is much harder so I always say spend most of your money on those.

If you can afford the fancy new stuff then good! Otherwise, let us know and we can set up a different parts list.

#7 ReadingAsh

ReadingAsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:21 PM

My budget is 1100 for everything I need. I want parts that are nice and don't need to be replaced in 1 year.Im not going to do any editing. I would love to save some money as well. :)

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

Looking at your PC build, you're going to be over.  You need to buy Windows, which is about $100 and that isn't on your list.  With Windows, if you buy an OEM/System Builder edition, those are tied to your motherboard and cannot be moved.  The full versions can be moved between PC's.  You could also consider an AMD build to stretch your money more.  The CPU end of the PC won't be out-of-this-world, but you can play all the recent games on it, especially when paired with a GTX 980.

3939.png

#9 ReadingAsh

ReadingAsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:15 PM

Ok thank you. :)

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:47 AM

Here's an idea.  It's going to go a little past your $1100 budget, but is well positioned to provide a solid gaming experience.

Case:  NZXT Source 530 CA-SO530-M1 - Cases are a subjective thing.  Aluminum cases are usually of higher quality and cases with side windows, vents, or fans are louder.  You may be able to save a little money by going for a quality mid-ATX case, but those are only slightly less expensive than this one.  $84

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P AM3+ AMD 970 - The 970 series chipset is the core of AMD's 900 series.  If you aren't going to be using SLI/Crossfire, this one will do well.  If you do see yourself using multiple GPU's, you may want to invest in a 900FX-based board.  $74

CPU:  AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz - The Vishera CPU's are a little old and aren't going to set the world on fire with performance, but they are good gaming CPU's  I use this one in my PC along with a GTX 980 and get great results with newer games.  $169

OS:  Windows 10 Home Full Version - The full version can be moved between PC's and this SKU includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.  You need to install the 64-bit variety.  $119

RAM:  Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3L 1600 - This is enough RAM to get you started.  Note the height of the RAM.  If you later buy an aftermarket cooler, having RAM without tall heatsinks will make installation easier.  $38

GPU:  GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 - This is more powerful than the 390, uses less power and generates less heat.  It is more expensive though.  This particular model has multiple fans and includes a factory overclock.  With PC gaming, the GPU is used more heavily than the CPU.  $489

PSU:  SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W - The GPU requires a 600W PSU, this will do nicely.  $79

SSD:  Crucial BX100 2.5" 120GB - Use this for your OS install and a few applications.  $69

HDD:  Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB - For all your other data.  $52

Wireless NIC:  ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter - A basic, simple adapter.  $27

Grand Total:  $1,209 (Before taxes, rebates, shipping, and peripherals (If needed))

3939.png

#11 ReadingAsh

ReadingAsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:37 AM

That looks like a nice build but I was wondering if you could make or find a decent build within my budget that uses a Intel CPU and a GTX 970. I would want it to perform well too. I would like to have well known or popular parts as a build. Thank you :)

Edited by ReadingAsh, 06 October 2015 - 11:48 AM.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:42 AM

AMD's FX and the GTX 980 are well known parts.  You are going to be paying a little more for the platform with Intel.  I suggest sticking with the GTX 980 if possible, it is about 10% to 15% more powerful than a 970 and games will depend on the GPU more than the CPU.

Two possibilities:

ASUS B150-PLUS D3 LGA 1151 - This is the DDR3 variant of the new Skylake platform.  $97

Intel Core i5-6400 6M Skylake Quad-Core 2.7 GHz - One of the less powerful models.  $197

Or

GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 2.0) LGA 1150 - An older platform, but still good.  $99

Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz - This is part of the Haswell line of CPU's.  $224

Here is a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 GV-N970WF3OC-4GD 4GB but I would try to stick with the 980 if possible.

3939.png

#13 ReadingAsh

ReadingAsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

Thank you for the advice.

#14 ReadingAsh

ReadingAsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:34 PM

I was looking at builds on

http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/gaming-desktop-computer.html

And was wondering how the mid range gaming PC would perform?

#15 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:00 PM

I was looking at builds on

http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/gaming-desktop-computer.html

And was wondering how the mid range gaming PC would perform?

Well. With that video card you can not expect it to be maxing out the framerate. It will play a lot of games brilliantly, but new games not as well. Depending on the game it could be a little underpowered. Keep in mind, the video card is one of the easiest parts to upgrade.

Whoops, wrong one. 

The midrange looks good. But you can probably get at least that much power for cheaper if you shop around. DJBPace posted a few parts to choose from. Getting a very fast video card will always pump up the price. So if you want most new games to play amazingly, you will have to get a fairly expensive card. There are still plenty of older games that will run amazing on a GTX 960, a less expensive card.

What games do you intend to play with it? You may not need to get something high end.

Edited by Gorbulan, 07 October 2015 - 06:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users