Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media test failure after Win 10 reversion past 30 days

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WuWei

WuWei

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hello fellow peoples! I have an Acer Aspire E1-532-4870 from a woman who had upgraded to 10 some months back, and I have been trying to revert back to Win 7 for her. It was past the 30 days so I couldn't take the easy way out. When I first tried installing the Win 7 OS with the proper model-specific disks, during the setup it would say there was insufficient space on the disks for the temporary files. So then I deleted all the partitions and used a Win 7 universal install disk, which made all the partitions again for me nicely, and I was then able to put the model-specific disks in and install from there in order to not have to go through the bother of installing all those drivers. After the install went through the computer restarted and came up with a screen saying this: "Media test failure, check cable" and "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". I have checked the hard drive -- it is in very well -- I even cleaned it with special gold contact cleaner, to no avail. I am able to get to BIOS where I noticed that under HDD password it says frozen. I have no idea whether that is related to the computer not being able to see the hard drive or not. I did a hard reset on the computer and checked and after that it will say the HDD password is clear, but only for that one boot, and it still says it can't find the media. I even tried making various passwords and then clearing them to see if that would clear it up but that didn't work either. I tried doing a hard reset and then reinstalling 7 while the HDD password was clear, but nothing doing. Obviously I'm grasping at straws here. If anyone can assist me that would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

I am not sure how Windows 10 does the install but in UEFI/BIOS change the setting from Legacy to UEFI or from UEFI to Legacy and see if the computer boots. If there is a SecureBoot option make sure that is disabled.

See this Thread.

https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=24371.0

#3 WuWei

WuWei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately booting in UEFI still didn't work for me -- I guess because of the frozen hard drive password? In the end I put a new hard drive in.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the update. There are a number of ways to unfreeze the password on a hard drive.See step 1a here. Also here

The drive most likely had a password assigned to it but I don't know how you were able to install an OS to a protected drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users