Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alleged slowdown of Win10 adoption Article(s)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Surely there will be more of these, but the first of them I found is this one in the Inquirer.  Here's another one, in betanews.  And yet another one, in PC World, which parrots never analyzes, so nothing it says is of value for learning anything.

Here's another one, by Computerworld which forever also proves incompetent at analysing Win10 adoption numbers.  Honestly, they parrot without brains.  All of them.  But Computerworld is perennially the worst.  Great at deciphering bits in financials, lousy at this question of how many and how long for Win10 devices.

INSTALLS DOESN'T MEAN SALES.  OEMs have to install to sell machines, so if they have now 25 million more to SELL, that's not a success, just a preparation.  So it's not a slowdown.  It's not anything you can use to evaluate whether adoption of Win10 is good or not.  ACTIVATION IS ONLINE so internet use of the more-internet-intense Win10 DEVICES which now include phones and tablets that Win7 and 8 couldn't have had, is of no comparative value!  Honestly, does no one think anymore?

So of course, the tech mag conclusions are wrong, and I commented in the Inquirer and betanews articles, why.  The analysis is always wrong.  How long will it take for people to get the facts straight, and do the analysis properly?

I don't know, but since I'm a known Win10 critic, to say something less critical is refreshing.  So here, the claim of Win10 adoption slowing, I call BS.  I don't know if it's slowing or speeding up or whatever, because there isn't enough info to show anything, and the measures aren't the right kind over the right period, to say.

Opine your own assessments?  I'm done with mine.

Edited by brainout, 01 October 2015 - 03:48 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

StatCounter and NetApplications monitor web traffic and collect information on usage of OSs. If they found X number of unique users in August, and X+Y users in September, they report that Y users adopted the OS in September. Computers sitting in Dell's warehouse do not, to my knowledge, use the internet, and are, therefore, not included in the stats.

#3 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:52 PM

The issue is installs, and the net traffic numbers mean absolutely nothing.  They never mean anything.  I have 30 computers and only 2 are ever online.  A bigger business will have a greater percentage of machines offline.  This is about devices sold with an alleged tie to internet usage, and that tie is not apt, as many devices are offline.

Even so, INSTALLATION of machines is online required for Win10, so some of that internet traffic logged, would be of machines being INSTALLED by manufacturers, which is an online process.  Still means nothing, still contributes to internet traffic, as besides being online for installation, they have to test whether the browser works, etc. So both the numbers and the entire premise of the NetApplications 'numbers' is completely irrelevant for this purpose.

If anything, the Win10 numbers are way inflated, as you don't know how many represent TESTING the installation whether by manufacturer or Joe Blow who's trying to personalize Edge.

Edited by brainout, 01 October 2015 - 08:53 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:39 PM

Now I'm confused. All of the articles you linked talk about internet usage rates, but you're talking about installs. I'm going to have to look at some other stuff before I can have an opinion on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users