Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying a new computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cubey103

Cubey103

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I'm going to buy a new stationary computer. I'm going to use the computer, for gaming, programing of games, programs and even robots. I have a lot of chrome windows up at the same time and use a lot of programs at the same time, so it need to be able to handle that too, So my questions is, is these specs i'm listing below, good enough and if not what should be changed?. keep it below $3800. if you answer, thank you:D and have a great day.

The computer i found at the price of $1779.22 :

CPU:

Intel i5-4690K, 4 x 3.40 Ghz

CPU cooling:

BLOODFREEZR 550LC

Grafic Card:

2 x (SLI) MSI GTX 960 2GD5

power suply:

FSP 750W 50ERN 88+ silver

RAM:

G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 2400 Mhz DDR3

Case:

NZXT H440W Silent Ultra

System disc:

Kingston 240GB SSDV300

Surface card:

Asus Z97-E

Extern DVD(Blue-ray drev:

Asus DVD SDRW-08D2S-U

Edited by hamluis, 25 October 2015 - 03:24 PM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to Buying New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:05 AM

That's ridiculously expensive for those parts. I recently helped build a computer for a friend that is much better than that (except for the graphic cards) and it was $700 less than that quote. That included the case, additional fans, and a memory card reader.

Did you spec this yourself or find it pre-built on some website?

#3 Cubey103

Cubey103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:57 PM

I have spect it myself.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:40 PM

I have spect it myself.

CPU: That is fine for gaming, general use. What price are you finding on it?

CPU Cooler: You don't need to buy a fan for the CPU, it will come with one. You only need an aftermarket cooler if you are overclocking.

Graphics: You can do the SLI thing for games or 3D work, but...it may not be ideal. SLI does give you more performance, but generally it is better to get a fast card if you want fast performance. The 960's are a beast, but the 770 is still better I think. SLI can also cause problems here and there. If you want a more reliable gaming experience I would stick with one card. You can always add the same card in to do the SLI thing. Personally I would do dual video cards if it was a work machine, not for games. But that is just my opinion.

Power: Have not heard of that brand, but I usually stick to Corsair/Cooler Master/etc. Corsair seems to be the best overall power supply maker at the moment.

RAM: That's a good brand but it may be way too much RAM. Most people don't need more than 4GB, even for gaming. Most games currently can't even use more than 4GB. Since you mentioned leaving a ton of windows open all the time I would stick to 8GB for now, and upgrade later if you really need to.

Disk: That's fine unless you like to install a lot of programs, especially games. Games are getting big nowadays so 240GB is the minimum size. I can't speak on Kingston as a brand for SSDs, but somebody here might.

Motherboard: The Asus 97-E is fine. I quite like Asus boards.

CD Player: Are you planning to watch a lot of or burn or rip blu-rays? Content is moving away from physical media so getting a CD drive of any kind might be a total waste. You can install virtually any OS, including Windows 7, from a USB drive. I helped a friend build a computer and he did not bother with the CD drive, because he had zero use for it.

You mentioned gaming with this machine? Is there specific game you want to play on it?

#5 Cubey103

Cubey103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

Graphics:

I can mostly only choose SLI through.
Disk:

Is this better?

Seagate Barracuda 2000GB 7200 RPM.

Gaming wise, well guild wars 2 GTA 5, LoL and well a lot of other games, can't remember there names through XD

thanks for the help, I really appreciate it^^

Edited by Cubey103, 02 October 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

Graphics:

I can mostly only choose SLI through.
Disk:

Is this better?

Seagate Barracuda 2000GB 7200 RPM.

Gaming wise, well guild wars 2 GTA 5, LoL and well a lot of other games, can't remember there names through XD

thanks for the help, I really appreciate it^^

Sorry for the horribly late reply.

If you want to SLI go right ahead. Just keep in mind it can get expensive if you want SLI and high performance. Two low-end cards do not equate to one high-end card.

That hard drive you mentioned is definitely cheaper than the SSD, but it is slower. Get use to loading screens with a hard drive. SSDs tend to blast right through loading screens.

#7 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

-snip-

8GB is enough

Wouldnt recommend SLI

Dont get a FSP powersupply, they are pretty bad, and 650w is enough. EVGA Supernova 650w GS or G2 would be recommended.

The Kingston SSDNow V300 is horrible, dont buy it. It gets really slow, really quick. Samsung 850 evo is one of the better SSDs on the market but otherwise a Kingston HyperX Fury SSD will be fine.

#8 pancakebro

pancakebro

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:54 PM

Keep it below $3800? For that price you'd be getting two GTX 980's in SLI with a top of the line X99 motherboard and new i7-5960X.

You have an insane budget... Go check out http://www.cyberwarecomputers.com/ You'll get the best deal there for that price...

#9 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:22 PM

I would recommend this build. For $1500, you get a core i7 processor, 250GB ssd, 2TB hdd, Windows 10, and a 980ti.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users