Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2.5'' SATA drive on USB not getting enough power

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GiantRug

GiantRug

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hello, I just got my hands on a WD Caviar Blue 320GB and bought the cheapest external enclosure I could find along with a type Y USB cable (1 plug for data and power + 1 plug for power). To my disappointment when I plugged it into a USB hub (Amazon Basics 7 port USB 3.0 hub with power adapter) nothing happened... Plugging it into 2 ports in the back of my computer had somewhat of an effect - the drive starts to spin but clicks and stops, it's not being detected by the system so I guess it's getting some power but not enough :( Surprisingly when I plugged it into my Samsung laptop it worked just fine, so I'm guessing everything is set up correctly, it's just my mobo not giving enough power to the USB ports? How can I fix this? I thought hubs with power adapters should be equipped to handle 1000mA? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701277.pdf

These are WD's specs for this range of drives, yours are on page 3. According to the specs peak current demand at 12V is 1.77A (1770mA) which equates to 21.24W although the average power requirements are only 6W while doing read/writes, which equates to 500mA (0.5A).

It may be that the port you are using on the laptop is a 'charging' port, one which provides more power for charging things like mobile phones. I think your guess is correct, it is not getting enough power the way you want to use it from your desktop and hub. I think you are going to have to spend a little time on the WD web-site to discover how to power this drive properly.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 13 October 2015 - 06:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users