Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Hanging / Crashing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:27 AM

Hello. Over the past few days Firefox is hanging / crashing constantly. I've updated plugins but the problem continues. How do I start to address this issue?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldandretired

oldandretired

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:54 AM

i'm having the same problem. firefox ran a update a few days ago and thats when the problem started. i think the problem is with the new update.

#3 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

Or, the problem is simply related to a Firefox add-on who's developer hasn't had time to keep up with the update. Try running Firefox without add-ons (Firefox Safe Mode) and see if it still crashes.

#4 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

Ditch Firefox in favor of Chrome as it has more stable plugins and they can be easily enabled and disabled. Who has ever heard of Chrome crashing? Firefox is for enthusiasts who find the open source concept appealing.

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

Who has ever heard of Chrome crashing?

Chrome, IE, Firefox... they all crash from time to time.

#6 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:59 PM

Who has ever heard of Chrome crashing?

Chrome, IE, Firefox... they all crash from time to time.

you pays your money and you takes your choice

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:01 PM

Following on from Phantom010's suggestion, In firefox,Click on menu, addons, then click on the 'star wheel' situated by the 'search all add ons' box....then on "View Recent Updates"

This will show you which add ons have updated recently

Then go to Extensions and disable the updates that have recently updated.

If that solves the problem...all good.

If not....go back to extensions and disable ALL add ons.

Re enable them one at a time, and use the browser for sufficient time to allow it to crash/hang  etc.... before you move on and enable another add on, and repeat the process

I know this is slightly laborious....However it will isolate the offender....which is nearly always an addon.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#8 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:49 PM

So there was another update from Firefox this afternoon. So far it's running fine but I've only been online for 20 minutes or so. It seemed to hang with news sites that had video playing automatically. Or maybe that was just my impression. Let's see how it runs.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users