Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue With Firefox and Video

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:33 AM

This is really odd...

Any kind of video media will not play in Firefox. I've tried updating Flash, And I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox. No success. Video plays perfectly in other browsers - IE, Opera, etc.

When Firefox is open, there is a constant, flickering progress circle next to my cursor when it's anywhere on the browser window.

As an aside, there is something going on with a USB connection that I can't track down. The little tone that you always hear when you unplug or plug in a USB device randomly sounds - first the sound of a USB device being disconnected, then reconnected. The reason that I mention it here is it seems to have started at about the same time that the Firefox issues started. I've tried removing all USB devices with the exception of a wireless keyboard and mouse that I used to try to track this down, and those tones still randomly occur. Since at that point, I only a USB keyboard and mouse connected, that were not connected when the issue began, I can't figure out why something is still triggering that sound.

I'm in the process of gathering the parts for a new build, so this isn't something that I'm overly concerned with - I'll be wiping the system drive and reinstalling Windows 7, and moving the other drives to the new computer. But it's bugging the hell out of me...

Edited by MelissaPleases, 01 October 2015 - 04:35 AM.

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:28 AM

Simple, give up on on Firefox as it's now been overtaken by chrome. You may not like the monolithic Google but  it's services far outweigh Firefox. Flash should be disabled as it's a vulnerable plugin and a way for hacker to introduce malware. Silverlight from Microsoft is giving Flash a hard time and is a good alternative.

Others to consider are Unity Web Player, GNU Gnash, FLV. There are far more plugins for Chrome.

What OS are you on? I hope not Win 10 which is unstable, has hardware and software incompatibilities and is regarded by many, and myself as garbage. 8.1 and 7 are far superior.

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:24 PM

I'm presently using Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm in the process of building a new box, and I'm installing Windows 10 on it. Honestly, your statement is the first bad thing I've really seen about it, and my husband has a laptop with Windows 10. He loves it.

You're right - I do NOT like Google. They do far, far too much data mining for my taste. Firefox has always been good to me, so if I can work out this issue, I'll be good to go.

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

Get a private vpn and protect your identity. Browser traffic is encrypted so Google and Firefox can't mine you making a mockery of their do not track settings Your ISP can't view your activity either. peer2peer is optimized and you can also access blocked sites should you want.

This the only guaranteed way to protect your privacy.

My main objection to Win 10 is it's fuzzy licencing and privacy statements and  I have talked to many people that have had software and hardware incompatibility in their organizations. I have a top end sound card which doesn't have Win 10 drivers . As  many say "it's the best thing since sliced bread".

Good luck with your 10 build.

I use Win 7 Professional on my desktop, 8.1 on one laptop and 7 Premium on another old laptop. As they say "if it ain't busted don't fix it"

I also use Ubuntu 14.04 and Kali on another desktop.

May sense prevail.

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:39 PM

I've used Windows since it began - I go way back with Microsoft - back to the days of MS-DOS. It took me a while to realize that it seems like every other Windows release has had the bugs mostly worked out. As for drivers, I think that eventually the manufacturers will catch up. I don't hold my breath waiting for Microsoft.

I have one old machine here that's still running Windows XP. My present computer is dual boot with Windows 7 Ultimate and Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition.

As for P2P, I don't go there. That's far too risky these days for my taste.

I do, however, like the idea of a private VPN - something I've toyed with doing for a while now. The way things are going online these days, it's not a bad idea.

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:16 AM

Okay, I feel kind of dumb now. I've never noticed in the past, when updating Flash, that there's a link on the left, along with a description of the version about to be downloaded. I've been updating with the 32-bit version, and for some reason, even though I download it through Firefox, I've been getting the Chrome version. I clicked the link that said, "Download Flash for another computer," selected the Windows 7 x64 version for Firefox, and the issue has been solved.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 02 October 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#7 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:17 AM

Glad you're fixed. You should still disable Flash as it's a vulnerable plugin. It's more trouble than its worth. If you really want it enable the Click-to-Play plugin. I don't wan't to insult your intelligence, but these may help:

http://www.howtogeek.com/208908/how-to-protect-yourself-from-all-these-flash-0-day-security-holes/

http://www.howtogeek.com/188059/how-to-enable-click-to-play-plugins-in-every-web-browser/

howtogeek can answer most stuff

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

Oh, please - no insult to my intelligence, and I'm always ready to learn.... I figured out a long time ago that I still have a lot to learn about these infernal machines. I've been involved with them heavily for most of my adult life, and I never stop learning things. I'm a strong believer in the saying, "The only stupid question is the one that you don't ask."

I've not subscribed at howtogeek, but I've landed on their page a few times in the past searching for answers. I think I might start using them more often, though honestly, I still find that BC is usually my go-to place for technical help. I love this site.

Thank you for the links - I'll check the plugins out and see if they can be of use. You mentioned Silverlight. I have to say, I've not been impressed. I subscribe to Hulu+, and it's great on my main television with a Roku. But on my PC? I can't watch it. The site keeps telling me that I don't have it installed, but yes, yes, I most certainly do - or did. I've since removed it because it was such a pain in my butt...

#9 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

As a programmer I haven't used Windows much over the years. I've mainly used UNIX for C and more recently linux for C++, Python and other scripting languages  

I have used Visual Studio for some VB,Net and even  VBA for Microsoft Office applications. I use Java now which runs well on Windows or linux..

I believe that competition is healthy and that Microsoft and Apple should be challenged by the GNU open source software projects.Linux.provides tens of thousands of apps all buck free.. If you have an old desktop or laptop give it a try. It's an experience that you might  enjoy.

Remember, plugins can be dangerous and Google or Firefox is you friend..

#10 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:30 AM

It's funny you should say that - back at the beginning of the year, I set up my main computer with a dual boot using Windows 7 and Linux Mint Cinnamon. I like open source applications - Linux is a stellar example of how competition can be healthy for the consumer. Overall I really do like Linux, but I still can't seem to shake the dependence on Windows for a lot of applications. I do a lot with 3D modeling programs - Rhino, Cinema 4D, Poser, etc., and I've been unable to find anything comparable that runs under Linux. But overall, I do like Linux - I'm just still trying to get past that dependence on Windows.

C and C++... I haven't touched those since college - along with PASCAL, COBOL, RPG and FORTRAN. That was a lot of fun! I still have an old 8086 machine with a 20 MB (yes, MB) HDD that runs on MS-DOS. I use a program that I wrote in college using BASIC to file, organize and display my entire recipe collection in the kitchen. It's basically just a big cookbook, but I love it. My kids have even learned how to use it - they sometimes turn it on and pull up a recipe that they want to hint at having me make. I may have to see if I can find an old HDD for it, though - something compatible with the box that's a little bigger. The files on the computer are tiny, but after all this time, it's beginning to get cramped on that hard drive... Or I suppose I could go ahead and retire it, and put one of the others in its place. I'm kind of fond of it though - it was my first computer. Manufactured by Hyundai, of all companies.

Edit to Add: While I'm certain that you were being sarcastic or ironic with that statement, I'd like to say that Google is not my friend. Firefox... Well, right now we're still on speaking terms. What happens in the future remains to be seen...

Edited by MelissaPleases, 03 October 2015 - 05:56 AM.

#11 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:11 AM

As you say linux sometimes can't compete with specialized Windows applications such as yours. I learnt programming on a computer science degree with Pascal and Basic, a distant memory now. I used C and C++ with development teams producing software for large organizations, even using COBOL. As you may know many operating systems, compilers and others are written a mix of C and C++.. Windows with C, C++ and C#..

I remember the old days of the clunky old IBM PC  and Mainframes which I often used, happy days !!

I hope I can  still offer useful answers (without the sarcasm).

#12 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:53 PM

LOL! Actually, I appreciate sarcasm...

#13 tealover

tealover

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:11 AM

Will try to please and help out out with answers

#14 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

And that response is exactly why I love this site so much. That's the prevailing attitude of the vast majority of the people here...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users