Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ITEM NOT FOUND

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:37 PM

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

I request help.

In my desktop I have a folder I could not delete. I renamed it as 123456, but that did not help. Inside the folder there is one file named installer.exe. (yes, with a dot after the exe). Tried deleting but again: Item Not Found

The file type is File.

When I open the folder, installer.exe. says it weighs 958 Kb. When I right click and look at properties it says 0 bytes. When I scan it with Bitdefender 2015 it reports 7 files scanned.

Eraser has no effect and Secure Eraser returns a File Not Found answer.

In an elevated command prompt I typed

>cd /d

Then through properties I find the folder's location and added it

>cd /d C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop   enter

C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop>dir /x    enter

This shows me all I have in my desktop and one item is the 123456 folder

C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop>rmdir /q /s   then copy the file name and paste it

C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop>rmdir /q /s 123456    enter

The folder should now be gone

But I get the following line:

123456\installer.exe.     -     The system cannot find the file specified

I try to copy and paste installer.exe. in the desktop

I get a window saying that this file is no longer located in C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop\123456

I right click the file and Properties say this file is located in C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop\123456

I have run Bitdefender Internet Security 2015, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Superantispyware Pro, adwCleaner, Rogue Killer. I have also run RKill before Bitdefender and others. CF is not yet compatible with Win10 so I cannot submit a log file for analysis.

I am baffled. I lack more knowledge. Could somebody help me, PLEASE?

Another piece of info. Entering dir /x shows 3 directories. In front of one I find the 123456. But also, dir /x says I have 0 files.

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2015 - 10:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

What was the original name of the folder ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

Unfortunately I don't recall or I would have stated it in the post. I never gave much attention to it because I was deleting stuff automatically. But it well may have been Installer or Installer.exe. When I find things I don't recognize in my PC I delete them.

It appears in Glarysoft QuickSearch (free) entering the file name as installer.exe.  But I cannot delete it because it says it's not where it is.

This is kind of funny, but challenging. If only there were a software like Dariks Boot and Nuke for just one file.

I made 35 passes of the Gutman deletion. Got a reply: Deletion successful. But no, there it was again. This PC might be haunted.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:34 PM

Please install   EVERYTHING   

Once it is installed....allow it to scan...

Then type in your renamed folder....right click and attempt to delete

Take note of any folders in close proximity....just in case

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:52 PM

Sorry. It did not work. I had already tried with a similar program, Glarysoft QuickSearch, and didn't work either.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:07 PM

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 from a previous OS?

--- If so can, save your data and revert back to your previous OS?

#7 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:26 PM

I had Win7 ultimate and Win10 appeared in my Windows Updates and I updated.

Now, going back to Win7 will most probably erase that file. But you gave me a great idea. I will try to restore the system to an earlier time with Backup and Restore which I have never touched.

However, there must be a solution to the problem in Windows 10.

Thanks a lot.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:14 PM

“However, there must be a solution to the problem in Windows 10.”

--- Yes I’d like to believe that also

However, are you still within the 30-day time period of reverting back to your Windows 7 Ultimate as a last resort?

--- You can always get back to upgrading to Windows 10 again if you wish to do so

“I will try to restore the system to an earlier time with Backup and Restore which I have never touched.”

--- Backup and restore usually means you had created a system image backup

--- If that’s the case, yes, do the backup and restore procedure

However if you mean System Restore, than do that

Please let us know whether or not you mean Backup and Restore or System Restore

#9 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:10 AM

I fared much better than I thought. I had forgotten I had backed up the system with the Aomei Backupper. Found it and was dated August. Restored from that backup and the problem went away.

There will be a couple of things I'll have to do though. Like for instance in August I had an AVG antivirus, which is what I now have. But I had replaced it with a Bitdefender, which I think is much better. So I'll have to do that again, and some other stuff.

However, I think some of the experts in this community should be made aware of the problem I had and we should learn how to tackle it in case it appears again.

Thank you very much for your interest and your ideas, and I guess we can call this case closed.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:05 AM

Thank you. When you get your computer just the way you want it, make another system image backup. Good luck

#11 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:33 AM

I sure will and thank you very much.

#12 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

The system image I used to recover worked.

As soon as I changed it to return to my prior program files I made another system image backup.

If I find out what the correct procedure should have been I will let both of you know.

Thank you very much for your help.

#13 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:21 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/P3hV8BF2VRYlmZgNFSaJUZd

In my desktop I had a folder I could not delete. I renamed it as 123456, but that did not help. Inside the folder there is one file named installer.exe. (yes, with a dot after the exe). Tried deleting but again: Item Not Found

I ran CCleaner, which cleaned the Recycle Bin.

The file type is File.

When I open the folder, installer.exe. says it weighs 958 Kb. When I right click and look at properties it says 0 bytes. When I scan it with Bitdefender 2015 it reports 7 files scanned.

Eraser has no effect and Secure Eraser returns a File Not Found answer.

In an elevated command prompt I typed

>cd /d

Then through properties I found the folder's location and added it

>cd /d C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop          enter

C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop>dir /x          enter

This shows me all I have in my desktop and one item is the 123456 folder.

C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop>rmdir /q /s      then copied the folder name and pasted it

C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop>rmdir /q /s 123456                enter

The folder should now be gone

It did not. But I get the following line:
123456\installer.exe. -The system cannot find the file specified

I try to copy and paste installer.exe. in the desktop

I get a window saying that this file is no longer located in C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop\123456

I right click the file and Properties says this file is located in C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop\123456

I have run Bitdefender Internet Security 2015, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Superantispyware Pro, adwCleaner, Rogue Killer and Hitpro. I have also run RKill before Bitdefender and others. CF is not yet compatible with Win10 so I cannot submit a log file for analysis.

Another piece of info. Entering dir /x shows 3 directories.
In front of one I find the 123456. But also, dir /x says I have 0 files.

I do not recall the original name of the folder, but probably the name "Installer" could have been there.

If I had recalled I would have stated it in the post. I never gave much attention to it because I was deleting lots of stuff automatically. When I find things I don't recognize in my PC I delete them.

It appears in Glarysoft QuickSearch and in Everything entering the file name as installer.exe.. But I cannot delete it because it says it's not where it is.

This is kind of funny, but challenging. If only there were a software like Dariks Boot and Nuke for just one file.

I made 35 passes of the Gutman deletion method. Got a reply: Deletion successful. But no, there it was again. This PC might be haunted.

Maybe I should have changed dir to C:\Users\passacaglia\desktop\123456 but I thought it wouldn't be accepted.

So finally, frustrated, I restored a backup from August I had in the Aomei Backupper.

But surely there must be a way to delete these kind of things in Win10 without having to restore to an earlier point in time.

Any help on a normal way to delete this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2015 - 10:17 AM.
Mertged topics - Hamluis.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

Passacaglia here is a summary of my observations at this time.

--- Please note that most are observations for future reference if needed

--- If something needs to be corrected that's ok, I'd rather have a correction to make as opposed to not mentioning something

However are you saying that after restoring the system image from August with Aomei Backupper that the issue has returned or you just would like to know what to do for future reference?

The computer originally was Windows Ultimate SP1 and was upgraded to Windows 10

--- In the operating system section, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installation date is 11/08/2015 11:51:58 a.m.

--- How can that be? It isn’t Nov 2015 yet.

--- Also was your Windows Ultimate SP1 64-bit?

One recommendation I suggest is that you always record the original information you are dealing with and subsequent changes and why.

--- In case you’d like to know, I keep a dedicated 8 ½ x 11 notebook handy exclusively for recording such notes for my computer

Issues: Desktop folder could not be deleted: it was renamed to 123456: still cannot be deleted.

--- The original name isn’t known.

Inside the folder there is one file named installer.exe. Note there is a dot at the end. The file type is File.

--- Tried deleting it but: Item Not Found

--- There are various reports indicating that it cannot be found: However “It appears in Glarysoft QuickSearch and in Everything entering the file name as installer.exe.. But I cannot delete it because it says it's not where it is.”

--- In that folder or file, is there a creation date in Properties?

*** My comment is since the original name isn’t known it’s difficult for us to attempt pinpointing some resolutions as we cannot even guess as to what it relates to

A restored backup from August with Aomei Backupper was successful as a work around to eliminate said folder and/or installer.exe.

passacaglia would like a way to delete these kind of things normally in Win10 without having to restore to an earlier point in time: I can certainly understand that.

Speccy report comments

There are 4 storage items: did you disconnect the 3 external items before upgrading to Windows 10?

For antivirus you have both Pand Free and Bitdefender antivirus enabled

--- I don’t use either one so I need to know are both running in real-time?

--- It appears to me they are in Services

--- Spybot S&D also is running

It also appears there are 2 firewalls running: BitDefender firewall and Windows Firewall

--- I’m not aware that 2 firewalls can be running at the same time but that’s just my observation

There are also some stopped services: Advanced SystemCare Service 8 & AVG PC TuneUp Service

--- It appears to me that you should clean out what you don’t need

It wouldn’t surprise me if unknown desktop folder and installer.exe. could be related to an install or uninstall procedure for any one of them.

In the Scheduler section there are Driver Booster Scan, TuneUpUtilities_Task_BkGndMaintenance2013 & Uninstaller SkipUac_Ernesto

--- I believe it’s pretty difficult if a file cannot be deleted it could relate to a running process. I know it doesn’t answer why a file or destination cannot be found but this is just for comment at this time.

#15 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:19 AM

Thank you very much for your observations.

Installation date 11/08/2015 means 11 August 2015

Previous OS was just what you said: Win7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit

A notebook to record what happened, and how, is extremely useful. I used to have one but gave up on it a couple of years ago. Then I started to use post-it pieces of paper. All got tangled up so I ended up relying only on memory and what little knowledge I have.

I never even thought of looking for a creation date. All I looked for was location, size and previous versions. Nothing in previous versions. Even if I had sought a creation date it would have shown the creation date of the 123456 folder which is a renamed folder.

I did not disconnect the external HDDs since Win10 was automatically downloaded after I restarted the PC for some reason.

Bitdefender, Panda and Spybot are running simultaneously. Windows Frewall is disabled. Bitdefender Firewall is enabled. Only one firewall enabled. Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium is scanning in real time, so is Superantispyware Pro.

You may wonder at the number of programs of this kind, totally against the recommendations of the BC Antimalware community. Just as while I used Win7 I occasionally had to use Combofix, which is not compatible with Win10.

The reason is that I do not practice safe surfing.

Some places, like some hackers' blogs, are blocked by an antivirus but never by all of them simultaneously. So I disable the one(s) blocking site access while the others keep working. There has never been a clash between them. When leaving the site I do a complete cleanup of my PC with those programs, plus RKill, adwCleaner, Rogue Killer and Hitman Pro. The Windows antimalware included in the OS is disabled by disconnecting and then connecting to the internet through the ipconfig commands.

Advanced System Care 8 Pro I do use almost daily, but I switched it from Automatic to Manual. AVG I don't use so I disabled it. Thank you for your warning.

Never had problems with installing or uninstalling programs, for which I use Revo Uninstaller Pro which leaves no traces. Despite which I afterwards pass the Junk Removal Tool. You can download it free from Bleeping Computer.

As for the last part of your observations I was as baffled as you are. I had the folder in my desktop during over one week until I restored the OS to August. During those days everything worked perfectly as if I didn't have anything strange in my PC.

The PC never slowed down. I stress tested it with Aida64 and everything went normal, no excessively high temperatures, even with CPU running at 100% for 3 hours. Some day we might find out. My best guess is that a malware did a quick job before being swiped of existence.

After restoring to August the issue was fixed and never appeared again. I am asking, not because I still have the "problem", but because I cannot fathom why it could not be deleted. Because when I looked at the properties it said it was in C:\Users\passacaglia\Desktop\123456 and when I tried to delete it I got a window that said "this item is no longer in C:\Users\passacaglia\Desktop\123456".

My recycle bin was empty. When I used the Search function it said the file did not exist. When I used QuickSearch and entered installer.exe. there it was. I just want someone to explain to me how this can be.

Thank you again for your interest.

Edited by passacaglia, 03 October 2015 - 02:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users