Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 r0b666

r0b666

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

Not sure if this is the right forum but...

My laptop stopped booting up right the other day. After troubleshooting for a bit I ran a dell diagnostic and it said the HD was bad. So i bought a new HD, reinstalled the OS, etc and my laptop is up and running fine now. 

I put my old laptop HD in an enclosure and I can see all my files on it, but I have only been able to copy off a few. When I try to do it in windows it just hangs and gets stuck. I have tried using an old Winternals CD to boot off of to try and get data through that interface (which I have had success in the past)  but the machine I try booting with it either blue screens or the drive doesn't show up if I get Winternals to load. I have tried it on two different computers with the old drive attached via usb enclosure. 

The damaged drive is Windows 8 and its a Toshiba 1 TB HD. 

If anyone can recommend any utilities I can use to copy my data off before this drive completely dies (if it hasn't already) I would greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,013 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

Linux can pull files from a drive where Windows fails but I can't say how many you would be able to recover that were not corrupted. I would recommend FatDog64. Burn the iso file using your Windows 8 computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. You will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI/BIOS settings. Fatdog64-701.iso

Boot the Fatdog disk. When you get to the FatDog desktop you will see a number of hard drive icons. sda1...sda2..sda3  depending on the number of partitions on your hard drive. Clicking on one will mount the partition and open a file manager. In Fatdog you only need to click once. If you do not see your Windows partition close out the file manager and select another sda partition until you find it.

Attach the USB external drive. You will see a USB icon appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another file manager will open. Highlight what files/folders you want to copy by left clicking while holding the Ctrl key. You can also window around files/folders to highlight them. After you have highlighted the files you want to copy drag the files from the USB file manager to your Windows partition file manager. A small dialog window will open. Select copy and click on the quiet button. 

After you have copied any of your files exit Fatdog and see if you can open the files.

#3 r0b666

r0b666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

I burned the iso and I am in but when I try to move or copy anything it says "error read-only file system"

Does that mean all the data is corrupt or that there is a setting somewhere I need to change to be able to copy the data?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:48 PM

Where are you trying to copy the files to?  With Linux boots, one normally is supposed to plug in an empty USB flash drive [32-64GB] just before booting the Linux DVD.  Copy only, do not attempt to move files.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,013 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:50 PM

That indicates file system corruption.  Did you copy from the USB partition to the sda partition? Is the USB icon on the desktop labeled sdb1? Does it have more than one partition? In other words do you have sdb2...sdb3   etc?  Which partition number on the USB external is the one you are trying to copy from?

Another thing that may be happening. If your Windows 8 was using a Windows Account to login then the data may be encrypted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 September 2015 - 08:50 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:53 PM

Hey JohnC, thanks for that informative post!  I'm probably wrong as rain in my post, I'm glad you're around.  Would that Windows Account be the famous Microsoft Account?  Or, EFS-passworded account?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 r0b666

r0b666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:53 PM

I have tried copying the files to both my laptop hard drive (the new good one) and an external usb flash drive. I can open and view many of the files in Fatdog64 (was even able to play a video) but I cannot copy any of them off so far.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:55 PM

Does FatDog64 allow you to Save As that file you have opened and are looking at?  By Save As, I mean reSaving the file to another place, the other media.

#9 r0b666

r0b666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

Not sure why it makes any difference but the partition the data is in is labeled sdb4 I am trying to copy files and folders from there to either sdc1 (a different external usb) or sda4 (the new hard drive installed on the laptop I am working off of). 

#10 r0b666

r0b666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:02 PM

Does FatDog64 allow you to Save As that file you have opened and are looking at?  By Save As, I mean reSaving the file to another place, the other media.

Doesn't appear so, and even if I could I can't open and re-save hundreds of files individually. I would be here for weeks. 

#11 r0b666

r0b666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:04 PM

A smaller flash drive worked. Is there a limit to the size drive I can use for this?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,013 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:06 PM

Not that I know of. Do you mean you were able to copy files to a smaller flash drive? I never ran across that problem with Fatdog. 

Edit: Was the larger flash drive formatted NTFS?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 September 2015 - 09:08 PM.

#13 r0b666

r0b666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:11 PM

The larger drive is NTFS. 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,013 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:14 PM

I am not sure why that is. You could try regular Puppy Linux and see if the same thing happens. Was the smaller flash drive formatted FAT32?

tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 September 2015 - 09:14 PM.

#15 r0b666

r0b666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:17 PM

The smaller drive is Fat32 all my larger disks are probably NTFS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users