Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to find a clean ISO of Windows 7 Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 LacerdaPC

LacerdaPC

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

With Digital river gone.  Were can a person find a clean copy of the older windows OS's?  I know I am supposed to now contact HP to buy one from them, but I do not see the point in paying them $30 to $50 for a disk that I already have a code for.  There must be a place I have missed.

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

Hi LacerdaPC :)

Legally speaking, the only place you can get Windows 7 .iso from is the Microsoft Software Recovery Center if you have a retail version of Windows, or your computer manufacturer if you have an OEM version of it. Any other way of getting a Windows 7 .iso (except of course from a MSDN account) is not legal.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

Is this a possibility?   http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-home-premium-64bit-iso-download/709dcc12-d120-435d-91cd-52e1dd0f4c24?auth=1 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

It's not Phil. The first download link is from DigitalRiverContent which was taken down. As for the article linked, it explains the two ways I posted above already :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

What about that time I bought Windows 7 on an ISO through my school? Was that just a store front for Microsoft? Didn't seem like it...

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:22 PM

How did you do that if I may ask? Your school was selling Windows 7 digitally (.iso)?

unite_blue.png

#7 LacerdaPC

LacerdaPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

Thanks guys :rolleyes: .  Yeah I tried both of those already.  Having to what I consider to re-buy the OS to put on machines that I am refurbishing to resell, kind of sucks any profit out of the project.  I wonder if it would be worth trying to get a MSDN account.  Would this give me access to all versions of their software?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

I wonder if it would be worth trying to get a MSDN account. Would this give me access to all versions of their software?

It would, depending on the kind of account you get.

Having to what I consider to re-buy the OS to put on machines that I am refurbishing to resell, kind of sucks any profit out of the project.

You can only buy OEM licences to do that, and even there I think you need to be an approved distributor by Microsoft.

Edited by Aura, 30 September 2015 - 04:25 PM.

unite_blue.png

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:30 PM

How did you do that if I may ask? Your school was selling Windows 7 digitally (.iso)?

I guess. The class was about project management so the store had Microsoft Project for sale at an extreme discount, along with Windows 7, as well as others. The item you got for your money was an .ISO. The store was not built by the school, looked like a company that sells Microsoft software to students for schools.

Edit: Looking at the school's site it seems they still have discounted offers from another (or possibly the same) company. Didn't see Windows 7 for $15 like last year though...

Edited by Gorbulan, 30 September 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:43 AM

If you legally purchased a genuine copy of Windows as a student...proof of purchase would seem sufficient to obtain another replacement copy from the vendor, IMO.

But...that one copy will only permit one legal install, not a series of installs on different systems.

Louis

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:08 AM

If you are still a student there is a chance you can get the OS for free.

http://onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-8-1-pro-for-students/

Edit: I don't believe Windows 7 is offered though.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 October 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

Just tested for my school and there's only discounts, no free stuff :( However, you can get redirected to DreamSpark Premium, if that's the case, you should get an account from your school and from there you could get Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 for free (that's how it was when my account was active). These accounts were given to us via MSDNAA (MSDN Academic Alliance).

unite_blue.png

#13 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

That's it, DreamSpark! That's the store my school used. 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

So they gave you a DreamSpark account, you logged in it and bought Windows 7 for a discount price?

unite_blue.png

#15 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

So they gave you a DreamSpark account, you logged in it and bought Windows 7 for a discount price?

Precisely!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users