Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need chrome 42, 43, 44 standalone installer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 secklesm

secklesm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:46 PM

I used to use chrome to access a VMware vSphere Web Client. Then npapi got deprecated. Now I'm left with "workarounds" from VMware which all don't work for me.

The workaround that seemed most promising was to install an older version of chrome, specifically 42 through 44.

I have not been able to find a standalone installer for any version of chrome that works...everything just automatically updates itself to version 45.

Is it possible to install an older version of chrome? Does anyone have a working standalone installer for the older versions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

I would try something like SRWare Iron Portable http://www.afterdawn.com/software/network/browsers/srware_iron_portable.cfm#all_versions

disable the updates.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

Plenty of older versions to download:

http://filehippo.com/download_google_chrome/history/9/

Turning Off Auto Updates in Google Chrome before running the browser:

https://www.chromium.org/administrators/turning-off-auto-updates

http://support.imonggo.com/help/kb/browser/how-to-stop-google-chrome-from-auto-updates-for-windows

http://www.wintips.org/disable-google-chrome-automatic-update/

http://blog.doofix.com/how-to-stop-google-chrome-from-automatic-update/

Edited by Phantom010, 30 September 2015 - 03:39 PM.

#4 secklesm

secklesm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

SleepyDude: I like the approach, but I don't think a portable browser will work. There's no way to update adobe flash and I need it.

Phantom010: I've tried the older versions of Chrome available through filehippo. The issue is that chrome auto-updates itself despite the "turn chrome auto-updates off" fixes that are currently out there. I've tried changing the REG_DWORD value to 0. I've tried installing the chrome-manual-update.reg file. None of that works. Immediately updated to v47.

If you've got a known, working fix for preventing chrome from auto-updating, I would love to see it.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

SleepyDude: I like the approach, but I don't think a portable browser will work. There's no way to update adobe flash and I need it.

Do you have the flash player for chrome installed on the system?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 secklesm

secklesm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

SleepyDude: When I visit the page I need for vSphere Web Client, I get prompted to install flash. I did that, restarted, still get prompted to install flash. I tried installing the flash player you linked, same thing. The install doesn't appear to affect the browser.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

SleepyDude: When I visit the page I need for vSphere Web Client, I get prompted to install flash. I did that, restarted, still get prompted to install flash. I tried installing the flash player you linked, same thing. The install doesn't appear to affect the browser.

Is it visible and enabled on the list of plugins? access chrome://plugins/

___
Rui

#8 secklesm

secklesm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:36 AM

It isn't visible in the plugins list. All I've got is Chromium PDF Viewer, Chromoting Viewer, and Native Client.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:35 AM

It isn't visible in the plugins list. All I've got is Chromium PDF Viewer, Chromoting Viewer, and Native Client.

For me it works! I have Adobe Flash Player on the plugins list only had to enabled the option Always allowed to run

6GLvxoN7aiG5gMULhzlT7kffjvaqE4.png

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users