Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External WD 1TB HDD not opening in XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sodhi

Sodhi

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:14 AM

Hi guys,

I have recently bought 1TB WD element external hdd drive, after coping data from the XP system connected the WD drive on WIN7 and copied data from there also, and when I connected WD back to XP system it shows the drive is connected but I’m unable to open it,  it says the  files are corrupted and does not do anything.

And when it is connected to Win7 it says some files need to be repaired and it repair something WD is back to working condition again in WIN7.

So the thing is I’m not able to use Ext drive under XP system, I have uninstall n install the usb drivers, Drive appear in Disk Management chnaged the drive letter but with no good.

WD support says take the back up and format the drive under XP system. Which I can’t do coz of 400GB’s of data on it.

Does anyone had the same issue and knows how to fix it, really appreciate the solutions thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:44 AM

I am assuming you deleted the 400GB+ of data from the XP computer after you copied it to the hard drive. If there is sufficient space on the XP hard drive you can go about this a couple of ways.

Remove the drive from the XP computer and attach it to the Windows 7 computer using an adapter or enclosure. Copy the data from the external drive to the XP drive.

Boot a small linux distro like Puppy linux and then copy the data from the external drive back to the XP drive. Do not delete or format the external drive until you are sure the data you copied to the XP computer is not corrupted.

For XP I recommend Puppy 5.2.8. Burn the iso on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. At the Puppy Desktop attach your external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and a file manager will open. In the lower left of the Puppy desktop you will see your hard drive labeled sda1...sda2.. depending on how many partitions are on the XP hard drive. Click once on the sda partition you want to copy to. A file manager window will open. Highlight your files on the external drive file manager by left clicking while holding the Ctrl key or windowing around the files/folders. Drag the highlighted files/folders from the external file manager to the XP hard drive file manager. A small dialog window will appear. Select Copy and click the quiet button. Your files will be copied. Remove the Puppy disk and reboot. See if you can open your files that you copied to the XP computer.

#3 Sodhi

Sodhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:26 AM

I am assuming you deleted the 400GB+ of data from the XP computer after you copied it to the hard drive. If there is sufficient space on the XP hard drive you can go about this a couple of ways.

Remove the drive from the XP computer and attach it to the Windows 7 computer using an adapter or enclosure. Copy the data from the external drive to the XP drive.

Boot a small linux distro like Puppy linux and then copy the data from the external drive back to the XP drive. Do not delete or format the external drive until you are sure the data you copied to the XP computer is not corrupted.

For XP I recommend Puppy 5.2.8. Burn the iso on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. At the Puppy Desktop attach your external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and a file manager will open. In the lower left of the Puppy desktop you will see your hard drive labeled sda1...sda2.. depending on how many partitions are on the XP hard drive. Click once on the sda partition you want to copy to. A file manager window will open. Highlight your files on the external drive file manager by left clicking while holding the Ctrl key or windowing around the files/folders. Drag the highlighted files/folders from the external file manager to the XP hard drive file manager. A small dialog window will appear. Select Copy and click the quiet button. Your files will be copied. Remove the Puppy disk and reboot. See if you can open your files that you copied to the XP computer.

Ill try copying data then.. I guess I dont have much of choice here, and the ext drive needs to be formated. Thanks I'll try the linux. but the thing is its working perfectly with Win7 machine, I have tried 2 different Win7 laptops. there should b a patch or something for XP.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:59 AM

I missed something in your first post. Are you saying that the drive is now working on Windows 7? When connected to XP you still get an error saying the files are corrupted? If that is the case, download USBdeview and delete every Vendor Specific Device that pertains to a USB external device it finds that is listed as Safe to Delete and then reboot the computer.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

If the above does not work than try this fixit.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/925196

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users