Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE11 Menu Bar

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fitzy04

fitzy04

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Hello everyone,
I'm probably missing or overlooking something here but for some reason, I cannot get the menu bar to show up in IE11 (the toolbar with File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, and Help). I know to show it, it's possible to right-click beside the tabs in IE11 and click "Menu Bar" to show it but when I right-click, it doesn't show any toolbars to show. I also know the little trick to temporarily show the toolbar by opening the Start menu, typing in the textbox "internet explorer" and holding Alt and clicking the internet explorer icon to launch it (which also does not work). It seems no matter what I do, I cannot get the toolbar to appear. I have the Favorites bar shown (which I could ONLY get it to show by adding a site to the bar). Even now with the Favorites bar showing, I have no way of removing the Favorites bar.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Greatly appreciated!

Windows 7 32-bit
Internet Explorer 11

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

I was successful once or twice by pulling a middle school play out of the playbook; I copied.  Using another computer with great working IE, found all the directories involved with IE, copied the directories onto external media 'cause I was booted in Safe Mode. moved the external media from computer w/great-working IE to computer with not-good IE, and copied etal from ext media onto Safe Mode booted compute. Now, just before all that copying, I ran windows repair (all in one) along with a couple of utilities that reRegister IE files.  After all that copying, I ran the WR(AiO) [Safe Mode with Networking] again.  Sometimes that works.  Sometimes, a rollback is also needed.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 September 2015 - 11:13 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

When you say "directories," are you talking about in the Registry?

Since I posted this topic, I've uninstalled the IE11 update from the Installed Updates in the Control Panel which reverted Internet Explorer to IE10. But the issue is still there. I've even tried resetting the Advanced settings and resetting the whole browser (both in Internet Options in the Advanced tab). But still not working.

I didn't think of copying the IE files and Registry entries from another computer that the Menu bar does work on. Maybe I should give that a try.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

Don't touch the registries in either computer.  I only meant the directories found on your OS partition where IE resides.

|  |-- AppData Local Microsoft ie [C].lnk                                   
|  |-- AppData LocalLow Microsoft ie [C].lnk                                
|  |-- AppData Roaming Microsoft ie [C].lnk                                 
|  |-- Favorites [user Favorites] [C].lnk                                   
|  |-- ProgramFiles[64] ie [C].lnk                                          
|  |-- ProgramFiles86 ie [C].lnk                                            

Edited by RolandJS, 30 September 2015 - 01:11 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:12 PM

|  |-- AppData Local Microsoft ie [C].lnk                                   
|  |-- AppData LocalLow Microsoft ie [C].lnk                                
|  |-- AppData Roaming Microsoft ie [C].lnk                                 
|  |-- Favorites [user Favorites] [C].lnk                                   
|  |-- ProgramFiles[64] ie [C].lnk                                          
|  |-- ProgramFiles86 ie [C].lnk

--- above using PrintFolderPro                                            

#6 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

My apologies, misunderstood. I will give that a try and let you know.

Thank you.

#7 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:02 AM

The system requirements for running IE 11 are for Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 PC.  The tips given at the websites below may work for you but you might consider running IE 9 which is more specific to Windows 7.

At the TechNet link below, scroll down to that topic and see if you might solve your problem.

Where did the Favorites, Command, and Status bars go?

More tips at SevenForums

Internet Explorer Command Bar

Edited by TulsaRose, 04 October 2015 - 07:12 AM.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:21 AM

The system requirements for running IE 11 are for Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 PC.

I know you read that at this page but on the same page dropdown menu lists "Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7" ... I have been running IE11 on Win 7 Pro since it's Beta program, runs fine on Win 7.

Spoiler

Dunno why they wrote Win 8 as a "requirement" unless it's just a marketing ploy to "upgrade" (likely). :whistle:

Edited by Union_Thug, 04 October 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#9 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

I know you read that at this page but on the same page dropdown menu lists "Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7" ... I have been running IE11 on Win 7 Pro since it's Beta program, runs fine on Win 7.

Dunno why they wrote Win 8 as a "requirement" unless it's just a marketing ploy to "upgrade" (likely). :whistle:

I know a lot of people are running IE11 with Windows 7...that's why I provided the links for possible fixes.  Just wanted to give the OP a heads up since he has been experiencing problems.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#10 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

I appreciate everyone's input here. I did revert IE back to version 9 and it still didn't work. Further investigation tells me that there is something corrupted with the image that I applied to that laptop. I re-imaged the laptop (the user cried about it not backing a 64-bit laptop so that they can run their software correctly) and both IE11 and IE9 let me add the menu and favorites bar.

Sorry for the hassle everyone but I think this topic can be closed now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users