Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rootkit? Hardware problem? Not sure.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 prettybluescreen

prettybluescreen

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:46 AM

Hi to the helpers. Thank you for being here.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Gateway mini desktop. I recently decided to reformat the hard drive because of strange messages from the system. First, I was suddenly unable to view my wireless network properties because of an unspecified "error." Then I noticed that I couldn't access properties of WMI under Computer Management. I think the message referenced Win32 and said there was a virus in the file. I ran multiple AV scanners and found nothing. Then my Devices and Printers folder was going entirely blank intermittently, and my computer xould not find a printer on the home network.

Fast forward to the reinstall. I am using a Windows 7 disk made for me at a computer repair shop after they reformatted ny computer after a previous virus. I no longer have access to a restore partition on the hard drive.

I have tried to restore a couple of times now with strange results. I am unable to get any Windows updates and receive an error message of 0x80244015. When I do restore, the only option available is "EMS-enabled," which appears to have something to do with emergency server use? I noticed that the update error message also has to do with changes or inconsistencies in server setup?

During the restores, I noticed that I had an extra "logical" partition on my hard drive. In the past, I had dual-booted Ubuntu with Windows on this computer, but I had deleted that some time ago, I thought, and this "logical" partition was very small and labeled, "extended" or something like that. Thinking that there might be a problem with that partition, I deleted it the last time I restored in addition to reformatting the main partition. I noticed that the installation screens looked different after I did that, so I was hopeful. However, I am still getting the 80244015 error when I try to update.

I am wondering if my hard drive is going, or if I may have a particularly ugly rootkit, or if the BIOS or server settings are wrong, or if I have offended the gods.

Other observations that might or might not be important: My antivirus program is acting strange, also. When I installed it after reformat, my mouse cursor all of a sudden began wandering on the screen. The program was purchased this June on a year-long lease but just gave me a message that I need to buy an update even though it's only been a few months. To reinstall it, I used an old setup program I keep on a USB drive with my important files. I remember reading that USB drives are potential entry points for viruses, so I'm wondering if I have a problem. For some time I've had a message on my Device Manager that a USB Controller needed a driver, but one could not be located. I ignored it because everything seemed to be working, and I didn't even know what a USB controller was.

Thank you very much for any help or suggestions you can give.

J.

Edited by prettybluescreen, 30 September 2015 - 10:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:48 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 prettybluescreen

prettybluescreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

Wow, I did not expect you to respond so quickly, so I was running chkdsk on the computer. It seems to be taking a very long time...over an hour now and only 55 percent complete. The computer required me to run the scan on reboot. I am not sure how to interrupt it or if I should interrupt it. Hitting the escape button did nothing.

If you are still here, please let me know what I should do. If I don't hear from you with other instructions, I will let it complete and then follow your instructions re:MiniToolBox when it is finished and post back then.

Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

Allow the chkdsk to complete.

Then...after it reboots...run the chkdsk /r command.  The auto chkdsk is probably not going to solve your problem, while the chkdsk /r command just may.

Then...post the requested data :), after the system reboots..\

Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 September 2015 - 12:05 PM.

#5 prettybluescreen

prettybluescreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:03 PM

Thanks, Louis.  The chkdsk scan completed and said it found no problems in the file system.  It did note 34 large files processed and 44 reparse records processed.  I don't know what that means, but it didn't seem to think there was a problem. 

Here are the results of the MiniToolBox, and below that is the link from Speccy.  

I should add that I still need to download drivers for this computer.  During this reinstall, I went straight to Windows Update, because the previous times I took the time to download all the drivers and then it wouldn't update anyway.  I don't know if my not having done that (my graphics are terrible right now, for example) makes a difference or not. 

Thank you again for your help.

J.

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 25-07-2015 01
Ran by Astraea (administrator) on 30-09-2015 at 13:51:34
Running from "C:\Users\Astraea\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1 (X64)
Model: SX2370 Manufacturer: Gateway
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (09/30/2015 01:48:35 PM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

Error: (09/30/2015 10:24:36 AM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

Error: (09/30/2015 09:52:42 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (09/30/2015 09:33:02 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (09/30/2015 09:20:20 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 09:07:58 AM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 09:05:18 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

System errors:
=============
Error: (09/30/2015 09:05:02 AM) (Source: Disk) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR5.

Error: (09/30/2015 09:05:02 AM) (Source: Disk) (User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 09:05:01 AM) (Source: Disk) (User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 09:05:01 AM) (Source: Disk) (User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 09:05:00 AM) (Source: Disk) (User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 08:40:06 AM) (Source: Disk) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR3.

Error: (09/30/2015 08:40:05 AM) (Source: Disk) (User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 08:40:05 AM) (Source: Disk) (User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 08:40:04 AM) (Source: Disk) (User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 08:40:03 AM) (Source: Disk) (User: )

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (09/30/2015 01:48:35 PM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 10:24:36 AM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 09:52:42 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )
Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (09/30/2015 09:33:02 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )
Description: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (09/30/2015 09:20:20 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 09:07:58 AM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )

Error: (09/30/2015 09:05:18 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

Belkin 54Mbps Wireless Network Adapter (HKLM-x32\...\{F3759A9F-7AFA-4FB4-8DF1-53F26B979DEE}) (Version: 3.00.07 - Belkin)
Emsisoft Internet Security (HKLM-x32\...\{5502032C-88C1-4303-99FE-B5CBD7684CEA}_is1) (Version: 9.0 - Emsisoft Ltd.)
Mozilla Firefox 41.0 (x86 en-US) (HKLM-x32\...\Mozilla Firefox 41.0 (x86 en-US)) (Version: 41.0 - Mozilla)
Mozilla Maintenance Service (HKLM-x32\...\MozillaMaintenanceService) (Version: 41.0 - Mozilla)
Mozilla Thunderbird 31.6.0 (x86 en-US) (HKLM-x32\...\Mozilla Thunderbird 31.6.0 (x86 en-US)) (Version: 31.6.0 - Mozilla)

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 30%
Total physical RAM: 3796.93 MB
Available physical RAM: 2630.49 MB
Total Virtual: 7592.05 MB
Available Virtual: 6172.14 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:931.41 GB) (Free:914.23 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: (Mar 08 2012) (CDROM) (Total:0.02 GB) (Free:0 GB) UDF
5 Drive g: (KINGSTON) (Removable) (Total:14.53 GB) (Free:6.11 GB) FAT32
6 Drive h: (KINGSTON) (Removable) (Total:7.26 GB) (Free:4.86 GB) FAT32

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\SCHORL-PC

Administrator            Astraea                  Guest                    

**** End of log ****

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/6omRaQtb3puiXLcwkGhAutV

Edited by prettybluescreen, 30 September 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:39 PM

Hi prettybluescreen :)

We can easily check if your hard drive is failing by running GSmartControl on it. Follow the instructions below please.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:
  • Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop;
  • Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe;
  • Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name);
  • Go in the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete);
  • Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your next reply;
  • Also, go in the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply);
    info_failing.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 prettybluescreen

prettybluescreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

Hi Aura.  Thank you for your help. 

At the bottom, it says merely, "Test Result: Completed without error."   There are several "pre-failure" entries on the Attributes page, but none are pink or red.  The test took about a half-hour longer than the estimated time of four hours. 

This is a good result? 

I am noticing a lag when I type, even after putting new batteries in the wireless keyboard. 

Thanks for your help and for any further guidance you can offer. 

TJ. 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:31 PM

Are you able to save the log, then open it and copy/paste it's content here? :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 prettybluescreen

prettybluescreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:40 PM

Do you mean this? 

smartctl 5.43 2012-06-30 r3573 [i686-w64-mingw32-win7(64)-sp1] (sf-5.43-1)
Copyright © 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     WDC WD10EADX-22TDHB0
Serial Number:    WD-WCAV5V685328
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 2064f1c82
Firmware Version: 77.04D77
User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Wed Sep 30 19:18:53 2015 EDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x82)    Offline data collection activity
                    was completed without error.
                    Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)    The previous self-test routine completed
                    without error or no self-test has ever
                    been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:         (20400) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:              (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                    Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
                    Suspend Offline collection upon new
                    command.
                    Offline surface scan supported.
                    Self-test supported.
                    Conveyance Self-test supported.
                    Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)    Saves SMART data before entering
                    power-saving mode.
                    Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)    Error logging supported.
                    General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:      (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:      ( 235) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time:      (   5) minutes.
SCT capabilities:            (0x3037)    SCT Status supported.
                    SCT Feature Control supported.
                    SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   214   184   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       5291
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       2239
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   064   064   000    Old_age   Always       -       26407
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       2080
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       151
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       947298
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   097   091   000    Old_age   Always       -       50
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     26407         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Not sure if I copied the right thing.   Thank you.

#10 prettybluescreen

prettybluescreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

Okay, this is very strange.  I just got a notice that Windows needs updating, so I went back and tried again, and the updates have downloaded and now are installing.   I cannot imagine, after trying to do that for hours and several reinstallations, why it is working now.   The chkdsk scan did not report fixing anything or finding any errors, and as far as I know I have not made changes to the system since I was unable to update when I first wrote this post to you. 

I am completely confused now but still worried that something is wrong with the system that hasn't been identified. 

The cursor is still very hard to control, but that may be because updates are installing.

Edited by prettybluescreen, 30 September 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:47 PM

Even thought your hard drive isn't failing, the following is possibly affecting it's performance and tells you that it'll most likely degrade soon.

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       947298
The Load Cycle Count for most hard drives is of 600,000, you are over half that, so at 150% of it's current expectation level. This hard drive have been online for more than 3 years now, which is a lot. Personally, I'm not too comfortable with hardware diagnostic so I'll ask a colleague tomorrow (since he just left the IRC chat) to take a look at this.

Edit: Scratch that, WD Greens drive are rated for 300,00 Load Cycle Count.

https://superuser.com/questions/735209/smart-brand-new-western-digital-hard-disk-showing-very-high-load-cycle-count

You are 250% over that number now.

Edited by Aura, 30 September 2015 - 06:48 PM.

unite_blue.png

#12 prettybluescreen

prettybluescreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

Hi again, Aura,

It sounds like you are saying the drive is shot and I am looking at buying a new computer or hard drive very soon?  Do you think malware is not involved at all?

I just checked on a couple of other things that have been troubling the computer off and on.  I get a list of devices and printers now (The folder was intermittently empty before).  However, the icon for my computer still has a great big yellow exclamation point on it.  I have messages that the Ethernet Controller, SM Bus Controller, USB Controller, and another USB Controller do not have drivers installed.  Before, if i tried to click on update or install drivers, I received a message saying that they could not be found.  Now, the option to find a driver by clicking on "update driver" is greyed out. 

Thank you for your help.  I really appreciate it.  Just BTW, did you have any comment on the logs I posted to Louis?  

Is it really normal to have to buy a new computer or hard drive every three years?   Are there any types that last longer?!

Thanks,

J

Edited by prettybluescreen, 30 September 2015 - 07:10 PM.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:06 PM

I would say that most of your issues right now are related to an aging drive and also what looks like an incomplete installation of Windows (if so many drivers are missing).

Now pardon my lazyness but I'm on my phone and its harder to post canneds like that. Can you run MiniToolBox again like hamluis asked originally, but instead this time, only check the "List devices" check box, and make sure that the "Only Problems" is checked as well? Run MiniToolBox with that option and copy/paste the content of the output log here please :)

unite_blue.png

#14 prettybluescreen

prettybluescreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

Hi Aura,

Here is the log.   As I noted above, the option to click to update driver is greyed out for these.  Assuming the rest of the computer is working okay, it's a good and cheaper option just to replace the hard drive than the whole computer, right?  Or does a failing hard drive mean other things are about to fail, too? 

Thanks again.

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 25-07-2015 01
Ran by Astraea (administrator) on 30-09-2015 at 20:15:48
Running from "C:\Users\Astraea\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1 (X64)
Model: SX2370 Manufacturer: Gateway
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Devices: ================================

Name: SM Bus Controller
Description: SM Bus Controller
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&SUBSYS_061D1025&REV_13\3&267A616A&0&A0
Problem: : The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
Resolution: To install the drivers for this device, click "Update Driver", which starts the Hardware Update wizard.

Name: Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Description: Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7812&SUBSYS_061D1025&REV_03\3&267A616A&0&80
Resolution: To install the drivers for this device, click "Update Driver", which starts the Hardware Update wizard.

Name: Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Description: Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7812&SUBSYS_061D1025&REV_03\3&267A616A&0&81

Name: Ethernet Controller
Description: Ethernet Controller
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:
Device ID: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_80001025&REV_06\E2000000684CE00000

**** End of log ****

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

It's honestly cheaper to replace the hard drive. They don't cost a lot now a day :) I'll post your drivers once I get back on my computer.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users