Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2TB external drive "you must initialize a disk before logical disk manager can"

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:32 AM

My 2TB external HDD will no longer be read by any windows computer. Whenever I plug the USB in. It doesn't show up in my computer, but it does in Disk Manager and Disk Manager gives the message,

you must initialize a disk before logical disk manager can access it

Which I do not want to do because I have my entire life on this drive, my music videos I made. Bought and paid for programs. My AVG serial number, Childhood photos, and I have current college work on. Many of the files are irreplaceable. I tried EASEUS partition recovery and also EASEUS data recovery which both those find nothing. What can I do do get my computer to read the drive and allow me to access my files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Puppy Linux may be your only EZ chance.  Locate triedNtrue download places for Puppy Linux [there are at least 4 well-known & well-respected places], download their ISO files, burn a couple of Puppy Linux DVDs or USB sticks.  I say more than one 'cause you might like the "look and feel" of one Linux over another.  With the external HD plugged in, with another external media plugged into another USB port, boot the Linux and its Menu to mount the troublesome HD, and copy all the data you can find.  What I don't know is:  can you Linux-copy onto your internal Windows-based HD?  I don't know the answer to that.

Another alternative, but you probably will hate the way the discovered files are labeled!, is MiniTools Power Data Recovery [portable version or regular internal HD version, along with its Boot Media Builder.

Only the ocean-swimmers and mountain-climbers and grizzly wrestlers will purchase, install a USB-based or DVD-based Spinrite and run it.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 September 2015 - 11:14 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

Is it possible to burn the found files to DVD using the Puppy Linux?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:16 AM

I'm not sure.  I only copied data files onto external USB-port flash media [16-32GB sizes].  I think you can, you have to root around the Linux menu.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

I can't remember if Puppy has a burner but Fatdog64 which is Puppy based has a cd/dvd burner called Pburn.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-701.iso

Edit: Is the external drive labeled as RAW in Disk Management?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 September 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#6 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:50 AM

Disk 2:

Unknown

Not Initilized

Unallocated

is what appears in Disk Management

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 30 September 2015 - 11:50 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:59 AM

Even Fatdog may not see the drive but that would be the first step.

I would also see if replacing the USB cable helps. 

If Fatdog does not see the drive then Download Testdisk for Windows here. Unzip the folder to your desktop. Run Testdisk and do a QuickSearch. Does it detect any partitions? If it does, hightlight the partition(s) and press the "P" key. Do you see your files? Do not write anything to the drive.

Test disk step by step

#8 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

It didn't work. I was immediately presented with an error message:

Partition sector doesn't have the endmark 0xAA55

it only took seconds to get that message

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 30 September 2015 - 12:08 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

Run TestDisk again and this time do not run QuickSearch, select Analyze and then the Boot option. Does it say if the Boot sector is okay?

#10 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

I haven't forgot about this thread. it is a large drive and is only at 2% analyze

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

Sorry, I did not mean Analyze, I meant to use the Advanced Menu. Is this doing a Quick Search? It should not take that long even for a 2TB drive on Quick Search. I would stop it. Run the Testdisk again and pick Advanced > Boot. Does it list the Boot Sector as being okay?

#12 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

I believe so. and it only goes up 1 cylinder every 1 - 2 second out of 243200 currently 5% now

#13 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:49 PM

When I go into advanced. It gives no options. all it says is "no partitions available"

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

I don't think Testdisk or any software is going to work on this drive. It's possible the USB bridge card has gone bad. What is the make and model of the external? Some external drives allow you to remove the drive and attach using another external enclosure or USB adapter.

The other option is sending the drive to a professional data recovery service which can cost up to $1000 depending on what is wrong with the drive. 

#15 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:56 PM

it was originally a Western Digital MyBook that the micro USB connector piece broke off and I had a church member PC Tech take the HDD out and put it on a Innostor IS621C USB Bridg USB device enclosure and he noticed this immediately after hooking it up. he says the drive is in excellent health and doesn't understand why no partition recovery software ever finds anything

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users