Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Hard Drive Possibly Going Bad

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:39 AM

Hello,

I think my main, Windows 7 system Western Digital hard drive may be going bad, so wanted to seek advice here before going to the expense and trouble of replacing it.

My computer has been progressively getting slower to be ready for use after turning it on, and sometimes takes as long as 4-5 minutes before the hard drive activity light turns off.  My system should be clean of infections, as I run Microsoft Security Essentials and routinely do a manual scan with MalwareBytes Antimalware and with SuperAntiSpyware.

In an attempt to self-diagnose the slow startups, I decided to run a couple of checks on my hard drives; (I have two drives - a 1,000 Gigabyte hard drive for my Windows installation, and a second 640 GB hard drive for storing data).

When running Crystal Disk Info, it showed my main hard drive had a health status of caution/yellow, due to the attribute name of current pending sector count.  That details for that attribute were:  current = 200, worst = 200, threshold = 0, and raw values of 0000000000001.

When running Western Digital Data Lifeguard for Windows, the quick test of my main hard drive failed right away.  It gave a status code of 07 (Failed read test element), Failure checkpoint = 97 (unknown test), SMART self-test did not complete.

When I ran the extended test on my main hard drive, it did complete, but reported bad sectors, and said it was unable to repair the bad sectors.

I then ran chkdsk /f which reported 8 bad sectors were found, but not fixed.  I next ran chkdsk /r to try and repair the bad sectors.  Fell asleep before it finished and booted into Windows, so I don't know if it fixed anything.

However, today Crystal Disk Info is still reporting the same caution message, plus the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Quick Test is still failing.

Questions:

(1)  Is there anything else I can try at this point to attempt to repair the bad sectors on my hard drive?

(2)  Is this really a serious enough problem where I need to immediately replace the hard drive, or is just a minor wear and tear hard drive nuisance that can safely be ignored for now?

Edited by Torvald, 30 September 2015 - 09:40 AM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

Bad Sectors Explained Why Hard Drives Get Bad Sectors and What You Can Do About It - http://www.howtogeek.com/173463/bad-sectors-explained-why-hard-drives-get-bad-sectors-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3

I would consider the WD utility...authoritative for WD hard drives.

Louis

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

Have backups?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users