Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_

Ben_

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:54 AM

Should I upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8? I have been thinking about it but need more opinions.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

Hi, from what I've been reading about it I would wait a while, a lot of people have encountered problems with their machines, still a lot of glitches in it.

Moe_P

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

Read the EULA and decide first if you can live with its risks.  I tried to summarize them here.  The links there will take you to the source text, so you can decide for yourself.

Because, the quality of the OS and its use advantages or disadvantages, will not matter, if those risks are too great.  Essentially, the risk you run, is that any confidential third-party data you curate on your machine, is claimed by MSFT as part of its right to police everything on your machine.  So someone whose data is on YOUR machine, can sue you for breach of confidential data, since MSFT will hoover and have it.

Additionally, anyone else who accuses you of wrongdoing can invoke Paragraph 3 of aka.ms/msa which is the License Agreement for Bing, Office 365, Skype, most consumer online MSFT services and Windows 10, to demand MSFT turn over data on your machine  -- which machine, if it contains data on other people as well, leaves you open to lawsuit from them.  All this, without the normal due process of law, where an accuser would have to get law enforcement to procure a warrant from a judge before any proceedings re what is on your machine, to even begin.

Such a risk is high for all of us who are in professions like law, accountancy, brokerage, medical/health industries, since it's our job to have such confidential data.  Since only ENTERPRISE is exempt from aka.ms/msa, your typical small-business professional in those professions is very much at risk of being sued out of existence.

So if you and anyone you correspond with are not in any of those situations, your risk is slight.  But if you or anyone are in those professions, then you should avoid Win10 and all MSFT online services subject to aka.ms/msa (which services are listed at the end of that aka link, paste it in your browser to read it).

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:43 PM

I run Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Server 2012

If you are paranoid just run Ubuntu or Linux Mint

I use them and they are all fine, sure they have issues but nothing is perfect.

Edited by pistol22cal, 30 September 2015 - 10:44 PM.

I Love Lamp!

#5 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

The Services Agreement is the same for Windows 8 (and 7) as it is for 10, so that should not influence your decision, except as to whether you choose to use Services in either 8 or 10.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:28 AM

If your computer and all your programs are running fine and you are happy with it then I would not update if you plan on getting a new computer after 2023 IMHO. 2023 is the last year of support for 8.1 which you should have updated to from 8. It is a much better experience. 

With 8.1 you know all your devices such as a printer will work until 2023. With Windows 10, you could get a major service update which would render the printer or other device useless unless the manufacturer decides to also update their drivers. 

I would always do a complete disk image to an external drive using something like Macrium Reflect Free before doing any OS upgrade. If you choose to update to Windows 10 it would give you the opportunity to revert back to 8.1 after the 30 day trial or if there was a problem reverting to 8.1 which other people have experienced.

#7 Randem

Randem

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 03:29 AM

This may help you in your decission - Details

People who don't know what they are talking about will provide arguments instead of any valid proof to their claims...

#8 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:22 PM

Well just note that with window 10 drivers are an issue

I can attest to this with the HP printer software. 

I Love Lamp!

#9 Randem

Randem

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:32 PM

Yes they are. One of my 12 machine did have a graphic driver issue and downgraded the driver so that I cannot use a higher resolution as I was on Windows 7. It also cause trouble when upgrading for after the upgrade the video was black, even though Winodows 10 booted I could not see anthing to do anything and have to use the USB drive to get into safe mode to restre the system to an earlier point of which I had previously created. Bad news if you are not prepared.

People who don't know what they are talking about will provide arguments instead of any valid proof to their claims...

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

The Services Agreement is the same for Windows 8 (and 7) as it is for 10, so that should not influence your decision, except as to whether you choose to use Services in either 8 or 10.

Not true.  The Services Agreement -- aka.ms/msa , you have to paste it in your browser -- doesn't apply to Windows 7 or 8.  The Services Agreement is incorporated by reference into  Windows 10 EULA paragraphs 1b(i) and 14, and also applies individually to each of the listed 'services', like Bing, Office 365, Skype, etc.  You can find the license in the System32 directory, file named license.rtf.

Edited by brainout, 03 October 2015 - 07:35 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:56 PM

Well just note that with window 10 drivers are an issue

I can attest to this with the HP printer software. 

I fixed this by simply reinstalling the drivers. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#12 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

I guess you didn't get the email I, as a user of Windows 7, got from Microsoft.

bBS8IxA.png

DiRaVhM.png

Yes. The links are clickable and take one to the same services agreement as Windows 10.

Then, there's this, from the 8.1 EULA

gNWMbPy.png

And, yes, again, the link goes to the same place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users