Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad windows update??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:29 AM

I just checked for updates, and it lists one update:

Attached File  crazyupdate.jpg   30.32KB   2 downloads

I clicked on More Information and it tried to go to  https://hckslpgtvi.pguhwdz.fuvol.gov/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ishra

Ishra

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:19 AM

I got the same update:

gYxseNjwafVPfgsoHnzLblmmAxZUiOnGcchqEAEwjyxwjUIfpXfJQcdLapTmFaqHGCFsdvpLarmPJLOZYMEILGNIPwNOgEazuBVJcyVjBRL

Hämtningsstorlek: 4,3 MB

Datorn kanske måste startas om för att den här uppdateringen ska börja gälla.

Uppdateringens typ: Viktig

qQMphgyOoFUxFLfNprOUQpHS

Mer information: 

Hjälp och support: 

#3 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:40 AM

Did microsoft get hacked or something? This is weird.

Somebody else with the same problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-update-appears-to-be-compromised/e96a0834-a9e9-4f03-a187-bef8ee62725e

Imagine if you had windows update set to automatic? lol...

Edited by sparklestar, 30 September 2015 - 06:43 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

For now this update should be avoided, Microsoft will most likely comment on it soon. I posted links to other websites where this question was asked in the post below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592139/windows-update-with-dubius-title-and-links-to-help-and-support/#entry3830713

For now, the safe thing to do would be to disable Automatic Updates and avoid installing this one. Someone on another website suggested to create a symlink of the SoftwareDistribution\Downloads folder to download the update and Reverse Engineer it. I might attempt to do that tonight if that update pops-out in my Windows 7 VM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

Update: This update isn't malicious, like many thoughts, a test update was pushed by mistake in production and Microsoft is working on calling it back.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-accidentally-issued-a-test-windows-update-patch/

This being said, one person reportedly installed the update and said that it "screwed up" his system, so I still advice you to not install it, nor attempt to install it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

First windows update stops informing users about new updates if they set it to check and let you decide, now it pushes out a wrong update. I think we will see MS purposely make Windows 7 worse over time while offering the solution of upgrading to Windows 10...

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:22 PM

Like I said in the other thread, I still have that notification on my Windows 7 VMs and they are fully updated. Same for every single computers at my workplace (although the updates are delivered via SCCM).

unite_blue.png

#8 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:32 PM

I feel silly talking about this in 2 or 3 different threads, but why would you be getting notifications about new updates available if your system is fully updated? EDIT: lol ok scratch this re: what you just posted in the other thread :P

Edited by sparklestar, 30 September 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:33 PM

Because of out of bound updates. Let's keep this discussion in your thread please since we are done with this one :)

unite_blue.png

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:46 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592139/windows-update-with-dubius-title-and-links-to-help-and-support/?p=3831461

Mod Edit:  Above linked topic closed due to empty rhetoric about "matters" unrelated to OP's posted questions/issues - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 01 October 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,284 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

Microsoft lets a test update through and though it was for Windows 7 Windows 10 automatic updates cannot be turned off. Does anybody see a problem here?

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

Microsoft lets a test update through and though it was for Windows 7 Windows 10 automatic updates cannot be turned off. Does anybody see a problem here?

offtopic3.gif...however no unnecessary snarky comment about "empty rhetoric"? I don't know if I should be honored or  disappointed dunno.gif

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

Think about it :).

Louis

#14 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

Pass. BTW I was being ironical.

ironical [ahy-ron-i-kuh l]

adjective
1. pertaining to, of the nature of, exhibiting, or characterized by irony or mockery:

an ironical compliment; an ironical smile.

Edited by Union_Thug, 02 October 2015 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users