Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing corrupted folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Another Device

Another Device

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:28 AM

My daughters hard drive was failing, so I used SystemRescueCD to pull everything from the drive to another one.  The problem I am having is getting permission to access her user folder on the drive.  It denies me access and directs me to the security tab to get permission, but when I try this, it starts giving me errors from corrupted files in that folder, and won't give me permission. 

I also tried using this program:http://lallouslab.net/2013/08/26/resetting-ntfs-files-permission-in-windows-graphical-utility/

but it still asks for permission.  Is there a way around this to access the files to see if I can pull off any uncorrupted ones?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

Try taking ownership of the files/folders.

Here's a guide for W8 (should be similar to W10):  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-windows-8

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Another Device

Another Device
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

I did just that where i mentioned going to the security tab, but with some of the files being corrupt it would just pop up errors about it over and over and not give me access. However, following your link led me to the File Repair program, and using that to browse to the user folder from there somehow got me around setting up the permission for that folder, and I am able to drag the files I need from there to the desktop.  Thanks for the help!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

I'm glad that it worked for you!  Thanks for letting us know!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users