Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XFX HD 7950 fans spin 100% but no picture in 3 diff PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 benyovszki4

benyovszki4

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:02 AM

I have recently bought a used XFX HD 7950 and the following things happen: 1. PC seem to start up normally 2. BIOS screen comes in, VGA fans go 100% and the display goes off saying "Check video cable"

The strongest power supply I tried with was a 700W Corsair which normally runs a stronger card. When I check the heat on the card by hand (after disconnecting all power source ofc) it has got a normal temp. What could be the issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pentodes

Pentodes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:47 PM

I would suspect, the machine is having trouble communicating with the monitor.   What was the reason you bought a new card, are we not masquerading  any clues here?

Before casting evil eyes on the computer I would try a different monitor lead and a different monitor if you can or at least try the lead and monitor elsewhere... that way we are being sure the monitor and the leads is 'good for go'.  I had a similar problem once and thought the graphic card - quite a natural thing to do I suppose... it was a bad soldered connection in the monitor.... this is the very Iiyami crt monitor I'm using now.... I tell a lie there were several bad connections (age and heat), no matter how hard I clouted it I could not provoke the fault one way or t'other.

Lets eliminate all possibilities first so we don't end up with red faces, going round in circles and getting flummoxed in the process, may be you have already tried doing as suggested.

Dave

#3 benyovszki4

benyovszki4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

I didn't mention it in the description, but I have tried it with 3 completely different configs, and by this, 3 completely different monitors. Same thing every time.

#4 Pentodes

Pentodes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:17 PM

Sorry to hear, that points us in the computers direction then.... for curiosity have you tried running it in Bios screen mode or in safe-mode maybe, just to see what happens, that would surely isolate a problem with the graphic drivers, since the drivers have not yet loaded from the hard drive.... if it does the same here it 'seems' to throw light on the mobo, the Northbridge chip  handles AGP activity if I understand right.

I can't say it's this or that at the moment, just that I'm rooting for clues.... wonder if it's worth doing a search on internet for the mobo model and the problem you experiencing in case there are 'known problems'.

Dave

#5 benyovszki4

benyovszki4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:09 AM

Sotimes i manage to get into the bios and the screen goes out just after that. Once i managed to go until the "Welcome" screen and the screen was out just after that. There were 3 mobos i have tried it with, that would be a very big coincidence.

#6 Pentodes

Pentodes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:58 AM

If it happens on other mobos then it sounds like the card itself.  There's no hard drive boot until the bios hands over control, meaning it can't be a driver issue.... could be tarnished contacts, have you checked them, try wiping them with a clean dry cloth - do not use any solvent, cleaners or fluid on them.

The only common thing to all the PC's is the card, very unfortunate if all the mobos were faulty  highly unlikely but not an impossibility.

In my 'telly' servicing day's I've had PCB cards where the edge connector contacts have become faulty, they can 'creep', they are only copper tracks that are either tinned, silver or gold plated..... these are rather soft, the pressure of the socket contacts can actually cause them to 'pit' causing faulty connections, heat could tarnish them too. 

The contacts should look rather shiny and free from wear maybe they are worth a look.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users