Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN network on Draytek Vigor 2830 series

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 david.roberts

david.roberts

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:26 AM

We currently run a VPN network via our Draytek routers across our stores that point to a server we have in our old store.

This server will be shut down and we have got a cloud server set up.

We are trying to bring this cloud server into the VPN to take over as domain controller, however the settings I am entering from our cloud supplier are not working. I wondered if anyone

had any experience or knowledge to point me where i am going wrong.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

What you describe doesn't sound accurate concerning the topology.

Router vpns don't point to any "servers" nor are servers involved.  What you describe is a site to site vpns which are router to router vpns.  This does create a secure transport for server client communications over this vpn network which runs over the internet.

Since you have gone to a cloud solution, which means you have no access to their router/firewall, I see your only option to be putting a client vpn on the server.

This would concern loading the Draytek client vpn software on the server and having the server logon to the main Draytek router.  The server would get a ip address from the router in the range of the local subnet [use mac filtering to get it the same one every time]

This does present a problem though concerning your access to the server.  Unless the client vpn can do split tunneling, you will lose access to the server.  If there was another nic in the server this wouldn't be a problem.  If you were virtualizing the server you could have multiple virtual nics so this wouldn't be a problem either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users