Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file is too big, WHAT !?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bojekki

bojekki

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:20 PM

I try to put a movie that is 2 gigabytes onto a 16 gigabyte USB stick, and an error message states the file is too big, and won't let me move it. Other files transfer normally. The USB stick is empty so its not that. Only some files do this, most transfer just fine. Does anybody know how to correct this ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:06 PM

Reformat the USB stick to fix the issue. (right click on the drive in Explorer and select "format")

Make sure the default FAT32 file system is selected. With this format you will have a max file size of 4GB, but it's great for this type of media.

#3 bojekki

bojekki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:23 AM

You gave me the answer without knowing it. It wasn't the formatting, I had already done that. I used the file size of 2 gigs just as an example. "With this format you will have a max file size of 4GB" gave me the answer. That file is just over 4 gigs, so that was the problem. I did not know about that limit with FAT32. I did a quick format to NTFS and it accepted the file. Thanks a bunch, I learned something.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:32 AM

No worries at all :thumbup2:

I can suggest caution using NTFS on small removable devices though, there can be complications with file permissions that are just a total pain in the bum to deal with if you're moving documents between computers.

Like you (now) I do also have NTFS usb sticks for when I need to move larger files, that's generally just so I can play them on my media center :)

Edited by TsVk!, 30 September 2015 - 12:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users