Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What does the following mean?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BitOrNotToBit

BitOrNotToBit

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:53 PM

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me, I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place.  

I have received the following information from someone about my laptop which won't load and I don't really know what it means.  Does it mean anything, or am I just being lied to? 

Your computer has been maliciously tampered with.  Electronic components have been isolated and the internal BIOS has been intruded, adjusted and violated. This is why the computer operating system will not work.

Is this just made up stuff or does that mean my computer has been hacked, or is the person who is fixing it telling me lies? 

Thanking you in advance. 

Edited by BitOrNotToBit, 29 September 2015 - 05:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:01 PM

The only way that could have happened is somebody got access in person with your laptop. Which means somebody was touching it with their hands, not over the internet...  :scratchhead:

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 BitOrNotToBit

BitOrNotToBit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

Okay, but what does it actually mean? I'm confused, the bios has been intruded?  What does that mean, just accessed? What does the expression electric components have been isolated? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by BitOrNotToBit, 29 September 2015 - 06:05 PM.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:03 PM

Okay, but what does it actually mean? 

Someone damaged the internal parts, and the BIOS thing means they tampered with the way the PC boots up, and some overall computer settings, basically.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 BitOrNotToBit

BitOrNotToBit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

In what way could those parts be damaged?  Is it expensive to fix? 

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:14 PM

Who told you that and in what way? If it is a physical person near you talking to your face, they were lying.

"BIOS has been intruded, adjust and violated" Whaaa?

#7 BitOrNotToBit

BitOrNotToBit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:15 PM

It was a local repair man to me, As my computer wouldn't load, so I took it to him to find out what was wrong with it. So is this stuff nonsense?  It's just I have one person who says it isn't nonsense and now someone who says it is.   

I do appreciate the help though. 

Edited by BitOrNotToBit, 29 September 2015 - 06:21 PM.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:41 PM

If it is the truth, he describes it poorly. "Your computer has been maliciously tampered with" could mean anything, Bleeping Computer's website is pretty much that subject. "Electronic components have been isolated[...]" sounds a bit like nonsense to me, don't know what he could be referring to. "BIOS has been intruded, tampered with, and violated" sounds like hyperbole. Tampering with the BIOS could be as simple as changing the boot order. There are ways of changing the BIOS, certain kinds of viruses can get in their.

If you have issues getting your computer to boot, you can post about it on Bleeping Computer. I think the Internal Hardware forum is the right spot. Somebody correct if I am wrong.

#9 BitOrNotToBit

BitOrNotToBit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:45 PM

Oh okay, thank you for your help, so you think it's a hardware fault, or software?  Do you think it just needs to reinstall windows? 

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:57 PM

It depends on the error it displays on the screen, if the screen displays anything at all.

That is why I say start a new thread in Internal Hardware. I could help you but I do not have a whole lot of experience troubleshooting this kind of problem over the internet. Somebody there should know exactly what steps to take.

#11 BitOrNotToBit

BitOrNotToBit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

Okay, I appreciate your help.

I mainly wanted to know if what I was being told is genuine, because if it's not I would take it somewhere else. Or ask in hardware like you say. 

Many thanks. 

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:01 PM

Sounds like nonsense/lies to me also. BIOS manipulation is a rare creature and has not been seen for some time, and only then on a very limited number of machines with a very specific BIOS version. (popular internet myth though)

If your operating system won't start at all you may find it easiest to just re-install Windows, though it is possible to get help with unbootable machines here. The time/effort VS reward may not be worth it though considering you could have your machine back up and running in a couple of hours if you just re-install the OS. If your machine won't run at all and there's a hardware problem please follow Gorbulan's advice...

#13 BitOrNotToBit

BitOrNotToBit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

Thank you. :)  I did wonder if it was made up, now I am getting pretty convinced it is made up.  Again thanks for your help. :)

#14 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:05 PM

You're welcome. Good luck!

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:18 PM

And another thing....New Windows 8 PCs don't include the traditional BIOS. They use UEFI firmware instead, just as Macs have for years.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users