Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maybe I am beating a dead horse but it needs more beating.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:00 PM

With Win 10 playing so footloose with open permissions where should I be more concerned with checking Firewall settings, Windows firewall or the Modem routers firewall provided by my ISP.

Or none of the above. I am posting in networking as this is both net working and firewalls combined.

Each is part of the other working in conjunction with each other.

I may be wrongly assumeing that the ISP modem/router combo will work by the same rules and methods as a regular router in line.

At this time I have not found a way to remotely check/administer the modem/router combo.

I did come across a tutorial where I might be able to hook my computer by wire to the modem and get in that way. Altho the tutorial was written for Win 7 and a Motorola modem, not a Pace which is what I have.

Years ago on a wired network you could easily remote into most any router if you knew the IP addy.

Do not try that on a pace bad things will happen.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

Your routers firewall is most likely not configurable other than maybe disabling or enabling it. Its alot different then a software firewall.  You might try the vendors website for the ip or just use a search engine. Or try 192.168.1.254.

Your software firewall (Windows) is configurable. But what you would control via the firewall?

If you concerned about Windows 10 privacy issues there are at least 10 free apps available now that will tighten up your machine for you.  One even configures the firewall for you. I can provide links if you want.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:41 PM

Links may indeed help nothing I have found on my own will work with Win 10 at least on here.

I know both the IP and Mac address for the ISP combo modem router and I have tried to remotely just look at the settings with very bad results.

Hence my last sentance in my post. Why would i want look because windows firewall has a few holes by default settings. God only knows what may be open and allowed in their firewall. Hence why I want a look see.

Frankly I do not trust anyone else to handle my security, sometimes I look over my own shoulder.

Overly paronoid, possiblely but then again am I really!!!!

Thank you for your assistance.

Edited by dannyboy950, 29 September 2015 - 05:43 PM.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,680 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

Maybe the modem/router isnt assessable by the end user? dont know really. The vendor or the ISP web site should have that info.  Theres really few if any user configurable settings as far as a routers firewall goes. No user setting in a modem either other than diagnostic logs and power/signal levels at least in a cable modem anyway.

I might add that having a router and using Windows built in firewall in its default setting is a good configuration.

Heres the link to the 10 tools. I would avoid DoNotSpy10, as explained- it ships with third party software. (Most likely you can just uncheck the addons during the install process) Alot of people dont pay attention and just click next, then they end up here.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:17 AM

click the windows button type cmd and hit enter. In the black box type ipconfig and hit Enter. look for default gateway, that is your router's address, most times it's 192.168.Y.X. Normally Y = 0 or 1 and X = 1 or 254. My bet is 1 and 254. open a browser, type in that address and hit Enter. That should open the router's interface. normall the login for the first time is admin and password.You need to change that.

As for the rest, if you have a strong wireless password and once you get access to the router, change from the default password, you've seriously done the most you're going to do to protect yourself. If there is someone that wants into your system they'll get in and if they can get past the router, nothing you have on your PC is going to stop them. It might tell you they are there but that's too late. All a firewall on a PC is going to do it make LAN networking a PITA. Most times you get infected is because of something you do, go to the wrong site and click a link or open an email attachment. Just have a good anti-virus that is kept up to date, back-up your PC now and then, and move on with your life.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users