Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing Internet Connectivity And E-mail Settings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lwald51

lwald51

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:30 AM

On June 7, my hard drive crashed and a new hard drive was installed. The tech saved as much as he could from the old hard drive and reinstalled it. The backup is still on the computer. I had numerous problems since then. The most common is losing internet connectivity or it will lock up even though there does not seem to be any problem with the high speed cable modem. I have had to take it back to the shop to get it working again last week, but it still continues to lose connectivity. I have repaired it with Comcast Disk Doctor which states it is repairing my internet settings. I have no clue why this is happening. I have not identified any viruses with any of the programs you instructed me in the to use in the Hijack This forum, nor with my AGV antivirus. I did have Norton NIS 2006, but did not reinstall it after the the most recent crash on the advice of the tech.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:43 PM

important things i make sure of as a tech when i reformat a computer.
latest chipset drivers, all the windows updates, all the drivers in general.
any one of these can cause issues like you are having. when you lose signal, do you see a "cable disconnected, or any error messages anywhere, especially from the taskbar on the bottom right? cable disconnected or something. when it disconnects, is the ISP link light on , onthe modem? does it change color or go out? any lights go out?
please post back
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 lwald51

lwald51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:28 AM

What I can see is a quick (way too fast to see what is says) black box that may flash by once or twice. The cable modem seems fine with 4 lights on and 2 blinking as they are supposed to be.

I do have Windows Service Pack 2 and several automatic updates from Microsoft. I do not have Service Pack 1, but the tech at the store said that I didn't need it if I had #2.

Things do seem to be getting better as Zone Alarm learns the computer, but it I have lost connectivity about 2 times in the past week and the internet has frozen twice in the same period. This is much better than before when it was happening several times a day.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users