Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No signal from video card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stevepsu65

Stevepsu65

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:23 PM

Hello,

I purchased a custom computer 3 years back.  About 6 months ago, each time i powered it up, it took longer and longer, leading up to having to run a system repair each time to get it to boot.

Eventually, it just stopped booting entirely before i could do any troubleshooting of all the hardware.

When i boot up, i see the motherboard light up, all fans are go (Including video card) but monitor just does nothing, and says no connection.

I have tried the following steps trying to isolate the problem:

1. Replaced video card with a working, generic video card - same results
  2. Resat all memory (4x4GB total)  - same results
  3. Replaced hard drive - same results
  4. Changed the wire connection of hard drive to different slot on mobo - same results
  5. Changed monitor - same result
  6. Changed output from HDMI to VGA on both cards - same result
  7. Fully Sprayed and cleaned out internals - same result
  8. Checked for blown caps on the mobo - same result

I am not sure what else to check or how to do anymore checks, all i know is i have a $1400 (At the time) PC that i dont want to goto waste, as im sure there is just some key part that isnt working.

I was thinking maybe the motherboard just went on it, but i dont see any black caps and im not sure how to test to ensure that it is.

Any suggestions on some things to test, or some parts to move around or just any general tips would be greatly appreciated =)

Thanks,

-Steve

PS: I can give the parts info if requested, along with any pictures of the internals

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:04 PM

A list of parts would be helpful.

Is there any diagnostic code given by this motherboard (some have LED displays) or any beep code?

Testing a motherboard is difficult apart from by substitution for a known good item.  It is also worth checking PSU voltages, as I have seen a failed but not totally dead power supply could cause failure to boot, but still give enough power to turn fans etc.

In general, failure to POST needs to be troubleshooted by disconnecting all parts (apart from the absolutely essential i.e. 1 memory stick, CPU, video, keyboard, but no disk drives) and if necessary removing the motherboard from the case and trying it on a non-conductive surface.  

Edited by jonuk76, 29 September 2015 - 04:08 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Stevepsu65

Stevepsu65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

Jonuk,

No beeps or lights aside from the one green light that's on be default.  I dont have a spare power supply to test but my friend said he has something to test the power supply.  In the mean time, i will strip everything out of it as you instructed and see what it does when i boot it

-Steve

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

Have you tried a different monitor to rule that out?

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if this problem persists.  Safe Mode uses a native Windows graphics driver, so if the problem doesn't persists this could be a driver issue.

As Jonuk has suggested, we could use a list of the components installed.  Seccy will provide us with everything except the make and model of the PSU.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

If you have voltage meter I can provide you with a tutorial to test the PSU rail voltages.  This includes using Prime95 to place a load on the system so you can get the most accurate readings.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users