Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LJC88

LJC88

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

Hello everyone!

I just finished my bachelor degree in Cyber Security, and of course now I’m looking for any job opportunities. It might take a while before I get hired, so I’m looking for any advice on how I could keep myself busy and obtain more networking skills, or computer skills in general.

I’ve been exploring BC for a few hours now, and realized keeping myself into IT can only help my skills and knowledge, but I want to go further than just that.

So any tools, tutorials, articles, … recommended will definitely be appreciated! I’m looking for more networking and security recommendations that could help me in my future career but also to have better skills and knowledge for my future interviews. But I love everything that has to do with computer, so please don’t hesitate if you have any other recommendation in other areas of IT.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:09 AM

As dumb as this sounds, do you have any certifications?  Too many companies have not updated their hiring practices and you could have a doctorate in computer security and still not even be looked at due to a lack of certifications.

I'd recommend Network+ and Security+ for starters.  You should know most of the information, but they may connect some dots for you and increase your understanding.

What area of security are you looking to go into?

#3 LJC88

LJC88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

Thank you for your reply Kilroy

I have no certifications, yet! I had a chance to take the security+ exam with one of my security courses I took, but I was so stupid to not even look into it. I just wanted to finish my degree and get it over with.

I’m currently watching videos on Youtube to refresh my memory to take the CCNA exam, since I feel like I learned more about networking then security.

I thought I would learn how hackers work and learn their methods with my degree, but I feel like it was mainly about security policies and how to implement them in an organization. I only took one course that thought me “everything” about networking security but that was an 8-week course, and I’m pretty sure I didn’t learn enough.

What’s the difference between CCNA and Network+? And which one should I prepare myself for first?

Edited by LJC88, 30 September 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:21 AM

Network+ is the generic certification and CCNA is the Cisco certification.  I'd recommend Network+ closely followed by the CCNA.  Nothing worse than being confused by a vendor specific question when you're taking a general exam.  Every Microsoft exam question should start, "In a perfect Microsoft world".  The worst thing about certifications is that once you start doing the job they are harder since you have real world experience.

If you're going for a security position I'd recommend Network+, Security+, CCNA.  Depending on how fresh the information is in your mind you should be able to knock it out in a month or two.

#5 LJC88

LJC88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the advice; I’ll start getting ready to pass those certifications. I wish I already had when everything was still fresh in my memory.

Any recommendations on “fun” tools I could use to practice my networking and security skills? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users