Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a Good Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:13 AM

Hi

I was wondering is this a good motherboard? It's worth $125.

Attached Files

Edited by CodeSmasha, 29 September 2015 - 07:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:27 AM

Hi

I was wondering is this a good motherboard? It's worth $125.

Asus ( I think thats what it says? ) is usually a good brand in my opinion.  However to be able to tell you anything else we would need more information about it. EG model number.

Edited by NickAu, 29 September 2015 - 07:28 AM.

#3 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:31 AM

it's a asus p5g41t-m lx

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

Good in what way?

Good for something to buy to build a system with now?  No it wouldn't be.  It's a Core 2, LGA775 socket motherboard, and they haven't been made for some years.

Good (if very cheap and it works?) for replacing a failed motherboard on an existing Core 2 system using a MicroATX form factor? Possibly.  It's not worth anything like $125 though.  I'd have doubts about it being that price even 5-6 years ago TBH as it is based on the low end chipset of the time (G41).  Higher end boards at the time were based on the P45 or X48 chipsets.

An equivalent in a current motherboard (for current CPU's)  would be something like the H81 series, which for an Asus branded model would cost between $50-70 new.

Edited by jonuk76, 29 September 2015 - 10:07 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

Outdated mobo no longer made. USB2...why would you want it?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

That's a nice little antique, CodeSmasha.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:45 PM

I should put it in a showcase.

Eh now that wasn't a core duo that's a refreshed pentium that was made for intels 25th anniversary

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:15 AM

It's worth $125.

That's likely the seller's opinion. 

CodeSmasha, you mean you ask us if it's 'worth it' & before we respond, went ahead & purchased it? Or did you already purchase & are asking our opinions? 

Either way, the one who came out smelling like a rose on this, even if new in box, was the seller. 21% one-egg reviews are fairly high for a component of this type, though on the positive side, it allowed some who were still using DDR2 RAM to move up to 8GB DDR3 (expensive then, cheap now). Still for the price, I'd expect it to accommodate a pair of 8GB sticks for 16GB total. That alone outweighs nearly any positive thought I had of it, though 8GB of DDR3 is duoble the speed of 8GB DDR2 RAM. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131794

DX10? By then (the time of reviews above), DX11 was the gold standard, even my 2009 HP that has passed had it. 

Maybe in 2011/early 2012, or if anyone can actually benefit from the MB today, it may be a decent upgrade path. Yet at $125 very expensive for what it offers. 

So what do you plan to install it in? A PC with a bad MB or build your own? I'm sure that you could find a $99 to $129 refurbished business/corporate style SFF PC (as long as it's not BTX form factor) & upgrade it. Problem is that many of these are of the BTX type. 

I hope that you enjoy your purchase! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:03 AM

CodeSmasha, you mean you ask us if it's 'worth it' & before we respond, went ahead & purchased it? Or did you already purchase & are asking our opinions? 

Either way, the one who came out smelling like a rose on this, even if new in box, was the seller. 21% one-egg reviews are fairly high for a component of this type, though on the positive side, it allowed some who were still using DDR2 RAM to move up to 8GB DDR3 (expensive then, cheap now). Still for the price, I'd expect it to accommodate a pair of 8GB sticks for 16GB total. That alone outweighs nearly any positive thought I had of it, though 8GB of DDR3 is duoble the speed of 8GB DDR2 RAM. 

I got it from someone for free.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:32 AM

Where did you come up with a value of $125 from? 

I have strong doubts that anyone will give that much for it, if the reason you're asking is it's resale value. If new in box, sealed, never opened, $60 tops plus shipping. If open & works, $45-50, shipping included in price. 

Note that eBay pricing is not reliable, that's why if priced high, there'll often be a 'Make Offer' click option. You name Your price & the seller can accept or reject the offer, or meet you in the middle (the latter is often the norm). Yet if one makes an offer (a binding contract) & the Seller accepts it, the Buyer has to pay up or be faced with getting kicked off the site, unless there's a very good reason why (overpriced is not a valid reason). If the Seller offers to meet you in the middle, you can refuse, but at the end of the bid period can still accept your offer, if it's the highest one. 

That's why it's an unreliable way to value a product, especially one that's not in demand. Unfortunately, way too many eBay shoppers doesn't do their homework & burns themselves when they see the same item by another seller for half the price that paid. 

Glad to hear you didn't get burned on the MB. :)

You can always use it to repair someone else's computer & make a decent amount of cash, as long as you know how to perform a MB swap. Better that than to keep as a showpiece, unless you're into that sort of thing. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:07 AM

2 things:

1. Is that I got it off Gladstone Freecycle it's a thing where you get things that have been given away.

2. I live in Gladstone not exactly, but in Turkey Beach at the moment. Turkey beach is only 40kms to Gladstone. I got in in a box with a lot of other junk. Including a 500gb HDD a GPU and that motherboard that I found. Sorry for mentioning that earlier mate.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:43 AM

Eh now that wasn't a core duo that's a refreshed pentium that was made for intels 25th anniversary

Only "Anniversary Edition" Pentium I know of is the G3258.  As you can see it uses a different socket from what is on that motherboard.

There are indeed several Pentiums that will work with it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_microprocessors#Core_based_Pentiums

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:00 PM

So that means this motherboard I have is 8 years old? It looks like it, because these pentiums were release way back in June 2007.

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:10 PM

It looks like it was released in December 2009.  That is the date of the first bios release.

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:22 PM

I see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users