Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thepokey

thepokey

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:34 AM

Hi guys, really hope you can help here because I'm in a real jam. I was working on one of my uni assignments when the power went out, so of course the computer shut down and all.

When the power came back on and I tried to start my computer it just won't boot up Windows. The computer turns on OK, so it shouldn't be a hardware problem (ie power supply didn't blow or anything) but Windows just won't load up to the password prompt screen.

When I start it the windows (8.1) logo shows up and the dots indicate loading but then the screen goes blank and it won't progress any further than that. It will sit there until I restart it.

When I restart it goes into "preparing automatic repair" and "diagnosing your PC". Then the usual blue screen where it gives me the option to restart or use advanced options. I have tried restarting it from here and also using the advanced options. In advanced options I have tried booting in safe mode, "exit and continue to Windows", and start up repair...all of them restart the computer but the same problem persists where it won't load to the password screen. When I try the "refresh" option in advanced settings it just says it failed to refresh.

So I don't know what to do? I'm freaking the bleep out as I am working to a deadline on these assignments and this just couldn't come at a worse time :(

Any advice at all? Cheers!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 29 September 2015 - 01:39 AM.
Moved to BSOD forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:16 AM

edit:

I'm trying to try out a system restore back to 24th of Sept but it won't let me proceed saying I must enable system protection on the C drive in order to continue and the check box for it is greyed out and I can't continue. So I'm not sure how to enable system protection without being able to get into Windows.

#3 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:19 AM

Edit:

I got impatient and I just needed access to my PC to get working on the stuff I needed to do so I just tried to go for a clean install of Windows and figured I'd bite the bullet and find a way to keep working and worry about getting everything set up properly again later.

Problem now is that when I try to install Windows clean I am getting an error saying that "we couldn't install Windows in the location you chose" and gives an error 0x80300024 and no other info. I formatted the drive that Windows was on and it still won't progress past here. So it won't even let me install Windows on a blank drive? This is getting extremely frustrating I don't know what to do now. Is it possible the actual SSD itself was somehow corrupted during the power outage?

#4 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:21 AM

Most likely? I'd say that when the black out happened it somehow probably corrupted the critical system files

Have you tried running another installation disk of Windows to see if it would progress?

Edited by CodeSmasha, 02 October 2015 - 05:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users