Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanning dirty hard drive from clean hard drive in same computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bill billman

Bill billman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:25 AM

I have a dell dimension 8200 windows xp home edition sp3. One of my hard drives has the fbi virus. I cant boot from a usb on it but the computer can have two hard drives plugged in at once. Could i plug the dirty hard drive in and scan and remove the virus from the clean one?.

Edited by hamluis, 29 September 2015 - 05:18 AM.
Moved from XP to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:07 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Detach the drive without the FBI virus. On another computer download Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Burn the iso to a CD. On a Windows 7 computer simply right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image. Connect the computer with the FBI virus via a Ethernet cable so Kaspersky can update it's definitions. Boot the disk and then open the terminal and type windowsunlocker (all lower case) shown in this guide. Then run the antivirus on the Kaspersky disk

http://media.kaspersky.com/downloads/consumer/kasp10.0_rescuedisk_en.pdf

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:27 AM

search for/see HitmanPro Kickstart instructions as well.....either should/could work, good to have alternatives/backup plans

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:10 AM

search for/see HitmanPro Kickstart instructions as well.....either should/could work, good to have alternatives/backup plans

OP mentioned that his computer cannot boot from flash drives, which makes HitmanPro.Kickstart useless since it can only be created on flash drives.

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:27 AM

Good catch, I skimmed a little too quickly over the original posting about not being able to boot from USB, the standard kickstart entry point. However...

If the issue is only that the OP can't boot from USB, but can still access a USB flash drive post-boot, the boot portions of the Kickstart can be put on CD/DVD, but, the USB flashdrive will still also be required..

If anyone wishes to read it, the procedure is outlined in the user manual at the website...

http://www.surfright.nl/en/kickstart

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:29 AM

IMO no need to complicate things, since Kaspersky Rescue Disk can do a good enough job.

#7 Pentodes

Pentodes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:34 AM

How about connecting the infected drive as a slave, that will enable the drive to be scanned.  If it's an IDE then alter the jumper to CS (Cable select) or Slave, you can then use it in a computer on a IDE or use a external USB drive caddy, IDE drive must be configured with the jumper lead.

For XP running on SATA connectors, you will need SATA drivers installed as there is no SATA drivers in XP as far as I am aware, this driver can be had from the 'destination' mobo  site (the mobo with the SATA connectors), you *may* have to extract the AHCI folder from the installation disc or where ever.

Dave

Edited by Pentodes, 10 October 2015 - 04:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users